Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else hate anti-social people? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    When we're talking about the psychological aspect of either, it's wrong to say that an unsocial person is antisocial.
    I thought it was fair to assume that the OP was talking about a person who was psychologically unsocial, because it seemed that they had trouble being social, rather than just not wanting to.

I didn't want to start this, but I saw the word mentioned in almost every post throughout the thread and I guess I just don't like being called antisocial, when I try my hardest to be social. :rolleyes:
    Well, if you don't like the word, that's a different issue, but nevertheless antisocial can be used as a synonym for unsocial. Argue with the Oxford English Dictionary:

"USAGE Generally speaking, unsociable means ‘not enjoying, or avoiding, the company of others’: : Terry was grumpy and unsociable . Antisocial can be used as a synonym for unsociable, but can further be used to mean ‘contrary to the laws and customs of a society’: : aggressive and antisocial behavior. Unsocial can be used as a synonym for unsociable as well, but it may also denote a preference for solitude and not hostility toward company: : Ben's feeling a little tired and unsocial tonight."

ReputationRep:
    lol don't get me wrong, i'm quite popular, prettiful - so i get attention and have lots of friends.

But to take the side of a loner - why should they bother you? Since when was it written in holiness that human beings were social beings... Have you heard of the social condition of autism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Well, if you don't like the word, that's a different issue, but nevertheless antisocial can be used as a synonym for unsocial. Argue with the Oxford English Dictionary:

"USAGE Generally speaking, unsociable means ‘not enjoying, or avoiding, the company of others’: : Terry was grumpy and unsociable . Antisocial can be used as a synonym for unsociable, but can further be used to mean ‘contrary to the laws and customs of a society’: : aggressive and antisocial behavior. Unsocial can be used as a synonym for unsociable as well, but it may also denote a preference for solitude and not hostility toward company: : Ben's feeling a little tired and unsocial tonight."
    I know that, but I didn't think we were talking about just behaviour, I thought we were talking about a psychological issue. :p:

I don't dislike the word, I just dislike it being used incorrectly. I get called antisocial when my behaviour is not antisocial, and I'm not unsociable on purpose. I'm just socially anxious, so the word antisocial can't be used to describe me, and it shouldn't be used to describe the person mentioned in the OPs post, because they're clearly not being unsociable just because they're boring or for whatever reason.

I'm not trying to argue, but I'm not going to back down and say I was wrong. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Just because someone doesn't want to socialize with you it doesn't make them anti-social.

Some people are just more discriminating than others in the company they keep. Why should they lower themselves to your level?

ReputationRep:
    Just mind your own business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnners)
    Just because someone doesn't want to socialize with you it doesn't make them anti-social.

Some people are just more discriminating than others in the company they keep. Why should they lower themselves to your level?
    This thread is two years old.

Thread locked - far too old to be bumped.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.