Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a rather warm bodied person needing advice here. I really hate being too hot, and start sweating straight away if overdressed when I'm walking briskly/ cycling to places, especially w/ a backpack on my back. Sometimes, this is to the point of having panic attacks. If I had my way, I would walk/ cycle in shorts+t-shirt for anything >=10 C, except in very wet weather, even if it was December, but I also hate looking stupid, and having comments with people telling me to put on a jacket. Sometimes, even in jeans+hoodie and almost double figure temps, I seem to attract these inane comments.
    How can I look warmly dressed w/ out being, if you get my gist? I'm a guy btw?

ReputationRep:
    Wear a scarf and gloves and layer things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia)
    Wear a scarf and gloves and layer things.
    surly that will make him even warmer????

try finding a pair of light weight jeans..... it'll look like your wearing normal jeans yet there still quite thin and cooling????

how about wearing a jumper, sweatshirt thing but having nothing under it.... (i think most people wear t-shirts under them and so wouuld think you are too maybe)???

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Candyx for the advice on the jeans. I could try that. The problem w/ a jumper w/out a t shirt under is that I can't take it off in class, and it can be very hot in some lecture theatres.
    Problem is, hoodie doesn't seem to convince some people, even though I will sweat into one if riding any distance on an average winter's day in the sunny South. Ironically, more people seem to accept me being in just a hoodie, if I pair it w/ shorts than w/ jeans, but I was told on another thread that that's a "douchebag", imblanced look. I could try a thin raincoat instead, but I don't like the way they feel (sensory issues due to a disability) so only wear them in v. wet weather. Today, I walked in jeans+ hoodie, plus took a brolly. The high was 13C, it rained most of the day. I was still too hot, and still had comments about had I left my coat warming the door, etc. These comments get to me quite a bit as I'm recovering from a depression/ anxiety disorder, am on medication, and someone being rude to me about the way I dress is the last thing I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candy x)
    surly that will make him even warmer????
    But if the scarf isn't a warm one, and the gloves aren't thick, when worn with thinner hoodies or jerseys they'll give the illusion of warmth whilst not really doing much. That was my theory anyway.

OP, I know it's easier said than done, but ignore people when they make comments. It's rude of them to do so, so try not to dignify them with any kind of response.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a lightist coat that's buttoned up, and just have a tee shirt on underneath. People will probably assume that you're all layered up, when you're actually not.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just ignore people's silly comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dangercrazydave)
    I am a rather warm bodied person needing advice here. I really hate being too hot, and start sweating straight away if overdressed when I'm walking briskly/ cycling to places, especially w/ a backpack on my back. Sometimes, this is to the point of having panic attacks.
    Ugh I get that too. I wear skirts with dark tights to help me, not that it would help you any :p:
    You could get a lightweight coat like I think someone's said, and wear whatever underneath - then you could take it off during lectures/whatever and put it back on when you go outside so you don't look too out of place. I do that sometimes too.
    Or you could just try and laugh people's comments off and wear whatever you like!

ReputationRep:
    why not wear a jumper with nothing underneath and take a tshirt in your bag to change into?

ReputationRep:
    Sod them, just tell them that you're railing the california vibe.

ReputationRep:
    Take a bottle of water around with you and at random times, sprinkle a bit on your forehead. People will think you're sweaty and will stop asking why don't you put a jacket on! :yes:

Make it obvious that you are hot/warm enough, if all that fails, ignore them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    Why not just ignore people's silly comments?
    why do the simple and easy thing when you can dress yourself to stay cool but give the ILLUSION to other people that you are warm/

ReputationRep:
    dont wear a jumper, get a long sleeve top but in thin jersey, topman have laods of them style tops, with some 3/4 trousers or thinner jeans.

ReputationRep:
    you could maybe try wearing a long sleeved techno-thermal top that keeps u cool. it would also look like a long sleeved top so you could wear a cardigan / zip up hoody with it and just unzip that / tie it round your waist if u get too hot when travelling / in lectures

ReputationRep:
    You want to get yourself a light-weight waterproof outdoorsy jacket. And just wear a t-shirt underneath. They are perfect for keeping you dry and you won't get any hotter than normal in them.

They look cool as well if you get a decent looking one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.