clearing opened today but i'm confused

Watch this thread
nooneeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
the course at the university i was after is not open for clearing, but could this change on results day? I'm worried and want to have a back up bcos I know I won't get my firm offer and I'm not 100% on my insurance either :/
nooneeee
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
also could the grade decrease? this course at this uni has frequently been in clearing and with BBB grades (which i have) but today it's shown as unavailable and grade requirements of ABB. I'm really surprised to see it has no spaces because I didn't think it a popular course at all
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

Have you tried getting in contact with the university that you are interested in? And have they opened for clearing for other courses? Either way, call them to check and hopefully they will be offering clearing soon. However, some courses that are already full may not offer places through clearing but it is really up to each individual university - so it really is best to call up admissions to find out 😊

I hope this helps!
Sara
iL1L
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm not at all an expert but I wanted to say that the IB results came out today so might it have something to do with that? But I'm probably completely wrong. It is weird that it opened so soon.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nooneeee)
also could the grade decrease? this course at this uni has frequently been in clearing and with BBB grades (which i have) but today it's shown as unavailable and grade requirements of ABB. I'm really surprised to see it has no spaces because I didn't think it a popular course at all
They wouldn't "officially" lower their grade requirement, but if they've accepted BBB before they'll accept it again.
Most unis won't know which courses are in Clearing until A-level results come out, since that's what the majority of applicants are offering.
(Original post by iL1L)
I'm not at all an expert but I wanted to say that the IB results came out today so might it have something to do with that? But I'm probably completely wrong. It is weird that it opened so soon.
It always opens on IB results day, but there's not much point checking it then
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 month ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Nobody can really tell. Clearing vacancies change year on year. It is dependent on how many have applied and how many are expected to reach and take up their offers. The courses released early are those where a university is confident they will have spaces due to poor take up. There may be others released on results day when they actually know who is going where. Again whether they drop a grade will depend on how many spaces they need to fill for a particular course and whether they judge they need to reduce the entry grades to reach those numbers. It is guesswork at the moment and will undoubtedly be influenced by the amount of grade inflation that will occur. If as expected larger than usual amounts of student achieve the A grade then the university might not need to be in clearing or drop the grades.
nooneeee
Rep:
Thanks for all the replies- I've now found another uni I like that is in clearing for my course and asking for the grades that I have, however, I have a firm and insurance choice on ucas. I know on results day you either lose both your insurance and firm and then enter clearing, or you decline your firm and insurance to enter clearing. Is it the same if I wanted to apply for this specific clearing course right now (aka before results day), or can I apply for the clearing course whilst still having my firm and insurance?
Also, I didn't sit one subject's exams so I know my firm uni will most likely decline me on results day (they want AA, I only sat 1 subject so at best will get A), but do I need to inform the uni about this? and if I do, and they withdraw the offer immediately, what will happen- as I'll no longer have a firm, just an insurance.
Sorry if this is confusing/complicated but I'd really appreciate any advice/answers if you happen to know!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You cannot apply for clearing until you know your results and you need to be holding no offers
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Usually the majority of courses become available on A-level results day. So just because a course isn't there yet, doesn't mean it won't be later

However if the course/uni isn't in clearing first thing on A-level results day, they probably won't be participating at all.
nooneeee
Rep:
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You cannot apply for clearing until you know your results and you need to be holding no offers
Thanks- I have BBB grades from last year (I resat this year). I'm guessing then I'd need to be released from both firm and insurance for early clearing?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks- I have BBB grades from last year (I resat this year). I'm guessing then I'd need to be released from both firm and insurance for early clearing?
If you are still waiting for new results then wait until you have them.
More courses will be open in August - there is no need to panic.
nooneeee
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
If you are still waiting for new results then wait until you have them.
More courses will be open in August - there is no need to panic.
Okay thanks Yeah I've decided I'll just go with the normal experience of results day and if worst case scenario clearing on the day
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (132)
39.88%
They're exactly what I expected (81)
24.47%