The Student Room Group

Recrystallisation

I’m looking for advice on a chemical I can preform a recrystallisation experiment in water. Ive previously done with boric acid but have struggled to make into a dense solid. What would be best for this and less likely to be cancelled out from other potential chemicals if mixed?
Original post by StreamlinePM
I’m looking for advice on a chemical I can preform a recrystallisation experiment in water. Ive previously done with boric acid but have struggled to make into a dense solid. What would be best for this and less likely to be cancelled out from other potential chemicals if mixed?

The classic crystals are copper(II) sulfate, the alums and potassium sodium tartrate.
There are also many transition metal complexes that make good experiments. Ideally, you would do a recrystallisation to remove impurity after a preparation.
(edited 1 year ago)
Ah. It seems this is a duplicate post of another one.

I shall reiterate my recommendation of monoammonium dihydrogen phosphate (the compound used in crystal growing kits), though @charco is absolutely right about the examples they gave being good.

Gardening grade copper sulphate could actually be a really good one to work with as it can be bought quite easily and definitely will have impurities to remove.
(edited 1 year ago)
Epsom salts are cheap and readily available.

If you can lay your hands on oxallic acid you'll get some beautiful crystals that look a little like glass rods.

Quick Reply

Latest