Third year suspected plagiarism

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have just received an email from uni for suspected plagiarism and they will be scheduling a hearing soon and im scared as hell.

44% of my work seems to be plagiarised (excluding bibliography). All of this 44% has however has been in-text cited and included in bibliography but the lecturer claims that since its a close copy of other publications it should be in quotation marks, which makes it poor citation practice/ suspected academic malpractice.

For this essay i had also filed for mitigating circumstances because i was not doing well and maybe my illness played a role in making this mistake because i would never intentionally plagiarise. I have never been accused of anything like this before and this puts my entire future in jeopardy depending on the pannel’s decision. I cant afford to get a zero for this but for them to cap my marks would still get me a 2.1. How do i convince them not to be harsh on me and not waste my three years of hardwork just because i didnt put quotations marks? I have offers from lse ucl and this will go wasted because i didnt put quotations marks? 😭😭

Any advice? How to get away with this? Should i plead guilty? Or not? Has anyone gone through something similar?
CambPhilosophy
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
do you have some kind of academic advisor/personal tutor that you can talk to about this? they should be best placed to advise you as I imagine the best thing to do will depend on a lot of factors specific to your uni/course/circumstances and so people on here don't have the full picture and probably can't give the best advice. best of luck!
squeeek2
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have just received an email from uni for suspected plagiarism and they will be scheduling a hearing soon and im scared as hell.

44% of my work seems to be plagiarised (excluding bibliography). All of this 44% has however has been in-text cited and included in bibliography but the lecturer claims that since its a close copy of other publications it should be in quotation marks, which makes it poor citation practice/ suspected academic malpractice.

For this essay i had also filed for mitigating circumstances because i was not doing well and maybe my illness played a role in making this mistake because i would never intentionally plagiarise. I have never been accused of anything like this before and this puts my entire future in jeopardy depending on the pannel’s decision. I cant afford to get a zero for this but for them to cap my marks would still get me a 2.1. How do i convince them not to be harsh on me and not waste my three years of hardwork just because i didnt put quotations marks? I have offers from lse ucl and this will go wasted because i didnt put quotations marks? 😭😭

Any advice? How to get away with this? Should i plead guilty? Or not? Has anyone gone through something similar?
You need to first make contact with the university’s student union, usually Ensa…. And at same time you make contact with course leaders, the head of university and course department head as they can help support your case of illness played a part. Also depending on illness type , If like me..you have dyslexia, anxiety & depression you should also as urgent get student disability and inclusion involved too. All these you can make appointments for through your university’s main page or you do as I do and look up their emails on staff directory.
cheadle
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The lecturer is correct in saying that the lifted sections should have been in quotes but if you have referenced the work in-text when you used it, and listed the full refs in the bibliography, you have clearly not tried to pass the work off as your own. However, it sounds like you haven't taken the trouble to rewrite in your own words, so this is indeed poor academic practice. You have fallen between two stones here but I think it, from what you've said, that it would be harsh to deem this plagiarism in the classic sense. I think your priority here should be to head off a proven plagiarism against you by whatever means you have at your disposal.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Just cop to it. Speak to your academic advisor ASAP, be honest and cop to making a mistake. explain the circumstances, stay calm, do not get wound up.

They don't want to stitch you up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (67)
69.79%
In the post (3)
3.13%
Text (13)
13.54%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
13.54%

Watched Threads