amylh89
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys! So I completed the access course and finished on 42 distinctions and 3 merits. I haven’t had my offer made unconditional yet although I’ve made the entry requirements so 🤞🏻. What I’m worried about is uni, I’ve never believed in myself and I’m panicking and worried that the work will be super hard! Did anyone else go into nursing thinking the same and surprised themselves? Was it harder/easier than you originally thought it would be?
Allyson2020
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amylh89)
Hey guys! So I completed the access course and finished on 42 distinctions and 3 merits. I haven’t had my offer made unconditional yet although I’ve made the entry requirements so 🤞🏻. What I’m worried about is uni, I’ve never believed in myself and I’m panicking and worried that the work will be super hard! Did anyone else go into nursing thinking the same and surprised themselves? Was it harder/easier than you originally thought it would be?
Everyone who does a nursing degree Will have there own opinion about how they think it was going to be like.

When I did my nursing degree I went into it with open eyes and ears and judged everything about the degree as I went along with it as to many people tells you completely different stories about their experience. I went straight from school and into university not knowing what to expect at first and leaving home at 17 as well was a experience on it on. But you get through it and if like myself you live not too far from the university then you will get the opportunity perhaps to get home at weekends during university studying blocks and maybe as well on placements when days of but remember that don't let yourself fall behind with your coursework if successful in gaining a place for nursing as it's difficult to catch up with things so always make sure you have your coursework upto date always before doing anything else.

I knew it was going to be hard especially when you get started on placements on hospital wards with working nightshifts and weekends and dayshift.
Each placement you will find that the staff tells you different things from your previous placement.

Nursing is not going to be easy 🙂😸 you'll have to be prepared for whatever comes your way throughout your 3 years as a student nurse.

A dual adult nurse and midwife.
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amylh89)
It really isn't that bad - you don't go straight in to level 6 (final year degree level) straight away, nor on placement are you expected to work at the level of a 3rd year about to qualify straight away. 1st year of university is level 4, 2nd year level 5, 3rd year level 6 (access course is level 3, same as A levels). You've already managed to do really well on your access course, presumably with a massive break out of education, so university level work is unlikely to be that bad. When it comes to placement, very little is expected of 1st ear 1st placement students and you work your way up from there.

I'd already previously done a degree by the time I did my nursing.
First time round, I had loads of assignments in 3rd year (9 deadlines spread across 7 weeks in the first term, after Christmas had 3 deadlines spread across 3 weeks in the January). I was expecting the same in nursing. In fact, I had the exact same amount of work to do, only instead of lots of smaller assignments, I had 4 4000 word essays, a spoken exam, and 20 weeks of placement to pass in 3rd year.
My nursing degree was hard - but, unlike the opinion of some of my nursing lecturers, definitely not harder than my humanities degree - just harder in a different way.

My main bit of advice is to make sure you're organised. I know a lot of people who read for/wrote essays last minute (as in a couple of days before the deadline) and were mega stressed as a result; yes I found them stressful but by being organised and starting reading/planning earlier I didn't have as much stress.
Remember to go into each placement prepared to learn and willing to help out and you'll be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (24)
18.32%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
23.66%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (71)
54.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.82%

Watched Threads