Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    There's a possibility of death in any form of surgery. For a lot of minor procedures this can be considerably less than 0.5% (!) Is it for anything serious?
    Quite. The table may fall down etc.

ReputationRep:
    There's a possibility of death in any form of surgery. For a lot of minor procedures this can be considerably less than 0.5% (!) Is it for anything serious?
    one sised breast reduction how hollywood am i?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Quite. The table may fall down etc.
    Probably not the best thread to discuss that small percentage!

(Original post by trigger)
    one sised breast reduction how hollywood am i?
    on the NHS..? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Probably not the best thread to discuss that small percentage!

on the NHS..? :confused:
    yeah it causes me emotional and physical distress

ReputationRep:
    i know i know babes
    Well you shouldn't even think about it, because if you do, i do, and it upsets me alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Well you should'nt even think about it, because if you do, i do, and it upsets me alot.
    ok i wont x

its not the op thats been cancelled its the pre up where im manhandled drawn on photographed and told theres a possibility il die not that important :rolleyes:
    Pre-op consultations are nurse-led clinics where all the paperwork necessary for hospital admissions is done. You will get a basic physical check up and they will make sure your 'bloods' are OK and you have not got hypertension etc. that could present an anaesthetic risk. All this is designed to cut down on the time required for you to occupy a valuable in-patient bed!

This can be done at any time prior to your op and is not a big deal - it will help allay any fears you may have about surgery so it will be a positive experience for you.

ReputationRep:
    Well you shouldn't even think about it, because if you do, i do, and it upsets me alot.
    Do you two know each other in real life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Pre-op consultations are nurse-led clinics where all the paperwork necessary for hospital admissions is done. You will get a basic physical check up and they will make sure your 'bloods' are OK and you have not got hypertension etc. that could present an anaesthetic risk. All this is designed to cut down on the time required for you to occupy a valuable in-patient bed!

This can be done at any time prior to your op and is not a big deal - it will help allay any fears you may have about surgery so it will be a positive experience for you.
    wow thanks so much i feel so much better
    kinda

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean, real life?

ReputationRep:
    These surgeon people do it everyday. You're just another job on their list It'll be a breeze

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean, real life?
    As in not via modern telecommunication networks

ReputationRep:
    As in not via modern telecommunication networks
    How modern is modern?

ReputationRep:
    How modern is modern?
    i'm taking this as you haven't actually met face to face...

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i'm taking this as you haven't actually met face to face...

lou xxx
    Not yet, no

ReputationRep:
    ok so my operation is on the 10th of feb and my pre op consultation has been cancled 3 times already! now im wound up and even more frightend that they're gonna screw up on my and il end up with an extra arm or something :mad: :eek:
    you're very hard on teh NHS. as someone said, private surgeons are NHS surgeons too. and how many years training have these surgeons undergone?

cancelling the pre op just means they're busy and know this isn't as crucial as other things. so you shouldn't be worried. give them a chance! they're worked off their feet.

ReputationRep:
    I've had very good experiences with the South Manchester University NHS trust. I had to wait about 4 months for my operation, the UK average waiting time is greater than 12 months. On the day there were a few complications due to short staff, basicaly I had to have open surgery rather than key whole, but the operation still went ahead and so far touch wood its cured the problem.

My grandads also had decent experiences on the whole although it could be much better, its not waiting times thats the problem here, its more the like or co-ordination and certain doctors not doing their job properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    you're very hard on teh NHS. as someone said, private surgeons are NHS surgeons too. and how many years training have these surgeons undergone?

cancelling the pre op just means they're busy and know this isn't as crucial as other things. so you shouldn't be worried. give them a chance! they're worked off their feet.
    Yeah exactly, my grandad was dying in hospital and nearly had to have an emergency operation due to complications from a previous operation, luckily the problem corrected itself but other wise somebody elses operation would have had to be canceled. However in my grandads case that operation was a matter of life or death. With many operations there is simply no great urgency.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.