What Maths Topic is this ?

Watch this thread
peteryoungy
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Need to know what this topic is called. Got no idea

Name:  E09E0792-1B9A-4A3C-9665-7074AB23B0E2.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  81.8 KB
Last edited by peteryoungy; 4 weeks ago
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Exponentials and logarithms would be the most relevant chapter (section 14.6 should help if you're using the Edexcel year 1 textbook)
peteryoungy
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
You sure.

I thought it’s about manipulating powers.

If it logarithms then never mind this question.
DarylO
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by peteryoungy)
You sure.

I thought it’s about manipulating powers.

If it logarithms then never mind this question.
It's Exponentials. Or indices, if you call them that. Manipulating powers is just a sub-topic under this topic.

In most maths textbooks, you'll find it under the chapter called 'Exponentials and Logarithms'. You should check a person's suggestion before being dismissive especially when you 'got no idea' what topic it is
Goldenknight
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
This is Exponentials and Logarithms because you have to take Log to both sides to find x. This is only taught in that chapter. I know this cause this is the Edexcel Textbook which I am doing
davros
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Goldenknight)
This is Exponentials and Logarithms because you have to take Log to both sides to find x. This is only taught in that chapter. I know this cause this is the Edexcel Textbook which I am doing
You don't need to take logarithms in this case - if you write both sides as a power of 3 then you can use the fact that 3^a = 3^b => a = b to write down an equation involving x
T!gger34
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Google " indices equations" for videos and extra questions/examples.

I tend to teach this to year 9+ students (and sometimes some bright year 8 pupils)as it's one of those topics which gets overlooked in school, but which pops up now and again on GCSE papers. The fact you don't recognise it kinda proves my point LOL.
Last edited by T!gger34; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads