Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've decided to redo this module as coursework (got a B in it -_-), but now I'm finding it incredibly hard because I've never seen an example coursework on DOAS.

Does anyone have any notes on coursework for this subject? Or care to help me? Haha.
    My coursework title is about Biff being the true tragic hero.

Any help would be much appreciated. x

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that Willy is a failed hero. Biff is only a hero at the end. For the majority of the play he is a complete idiot. Sparknotes is brilliant for this kind of thing.

Voila: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/salesman/

That should help a lot. It goes into A LOT of detail sometimes but will be much better than my opinions.

Its a good play and has some interesting ideas. In my higher English exam I wrote a decent essay on explaining how Willy is both vulnerable and heroic. But I don't do English anymore...

Anyway, hope that helps

(Original post by abstraction98)
    I would argue that Willy is a failed hero. Biff is only a hero at the end. For the majority of the play he is a complete idiot. Sparknotes is brilliant for this kind of thing.

Voila: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/salesman/

That should help a lot. It goes into A LOT of detail sometimes but will be much better than my opinions.

Its a good play and has some interesting ideas. In my higher English exam I wrote a decent essay on explaining how Willy is both vulnerable and heroic. But I don't do English anymore...

Anyway, hope that helps
    Thankyou very much x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicideCommando)
    Thankyou very much x
    No worries

ReputationRep:
    As well as Spark Notes, you could look at some literary criticism. Ask your teacher for recommendations, they should be happy to oblige.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtired)
    what kind of books has a spoiler in the title?
    What type of play actually tells you that the lovers ultimately die BEFORE it even begins? Honestly, this Shakespeare bloke doesn't have a clue:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicideCommando)
    I've decided to redo this module as coursework (got a B in it -_-), but now I'm finding it incredibly hard because I've never seen an example coursework on DOAS.

Does anyone have any notes on coursework for this subject? Or care to help me? Haha.
    My coursework title is about Biff being the true tragic hero.

Any help would be much appreciated. x
    i dont know what course work entails because (like the other person) im scottish. i did DOAS for higher english (2 years ago mind) and i would also recommend spark notes, although i didn't find they were as good for DOAS as for other books

the topic you have picked is quite hard - you will have to argue that Willy is not a true tragic hero, i would maybe argue that he brought this on himself (as in he always lied to himself to make himself feel better when he should have been striving harder to sell as much as possible) so only has himself to blame for his current state of mind.

biff realises his fathers deliriousness and in doing so takes the confidence to tell his father he is wrong (which is very admirable and couragoes) and shed his past ambitions to really follow the american dream like his father wanted him to but in a better setting. he too is trying to follow the american dream, even after he uncovers willy's lies and so is a follower of everyone else which is tragic as he comes so far in distancing himself from it that he goes straight back to it, just from a different angle, if you know what i mean

although this is purely ideas from someone who hasnt studied or read the book for ages as it is about 18 months to the day since my higher english exam

Guys, can we make sure we stay on topic please

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.