Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone appyling for one of these? Or have you completed one in the past/ are you doing one now? Any pearls of wisdom to share?

ReputationRep:
    I would love to do one

I think being flexible as to where they place you is a key to getting offered one.

I know loads of people from uni who have done it and they all think its great!

Where you planning on going?

ReputationRep:
    Ye I've applied - handed in my app today infact. Paris is my first regional preference...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cunning Linguist)
    Ye I've applied - handed in my app today infact. Paris is my first regional preference...
    Good luck! Where else did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    We just got our year abroad talk today. Think I'm going to apply to be an assistant. Wasn't really that keen on it before, because I wanted to keep on my russian language in some shape or form, and thought that an assistantship would restrict me going to uni. But now I know it doesnt, I think I want to do it

Would love to go to Berlin. But I reckon everyone doing German would most likely want to go there and apparantly it's too cosmopoliton.. I'm sticking it down as first choice anyway

Good luck to everyone btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_inept_one)
    Good luck! Where else did you apply for?
    Créteil, then Orléans-Tours. Just because of proximity to Paris. But I'm really hoping to get into Paris - I put a contact down who will help me out with accom and stuff. I tried to put a strong case down for Paris.

To be honest, they've been a bit cheeky with the regional preferences I think. There's Group A, Group B, Group C. Then they tell you to tick 1 region from A, 1 from B, and 1 from anywhere. But Group C is where all the good ones are! (eg, I wanted to apply for Outre-Mer too cos Réunion Island would be good for me too, but Paris and Outre-Mer were both in Group C)

ReputationRep:
    Are you guys all doing this as part of your year abroad at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Are you guys all doing this as part of your year abroad at uni?
    I am. Would you just be doing it for fun?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I did Erasmus on my year abroad. I also think it would be a great way to get to know a country without the pressure of having to find a job!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone appyling for one of these? Or have you completed one in the past/ are you doing one now? Any pearls of wisdom to share?
    I'm out here now.

I suggest you apply for a city/town, because France is so much more rural. I'm in a small town, but getting anywhere is a bit of a nightmare, because there are so few trains.

It's easy to get a place - nearly everyone who applies gets one.

One of the major advantages is money. You still get your maintenance loan, but have no fees to pay, and you also get a grant (not means tested) and paid for your work. Also, a lot of schools provide accomodation. In my school, we have to pay 62 euros per month, which is basically just for bills, and my friends in another school here get their accomodation free.

I'm struggling to find French people to spend time with though. I thought it would be better than Erasmus, because I know people who go to universities often end up just hanging out with other UK and international students. But it's just really hard to meet people. I mean, I know people, like my teachers and students, and people in my dance classes, but no-one I know well enough to meet up with in my free time. Hopefully that'll get better soon - I've only been out here for 7 weeks.

Teaching isn't too bad. 12 hours a week isn't much at all. The pupils are extremely unmotivated and reluctant to speak, but I've not had any discipline problems as such. Your role largely depends on the individual teachers. In my BTS (business) classes, I have groups on my own, and we've mostly been doing roleplays, in business situations. With another teacher, I tend to take small groups/pairs out of the class for a few minutes at a time, and get them to read to me, or talk about the topic they've been studying. Another teacher gets me too choose a topic of my own to discuss with a small group every week, and another has me come into her classes once a month when they've finished a topic in the textbook, and do a presentation on the topic they've been studying, such as gap years/Erasmus, teenager/parent relationships, Christmas, etc.

So yeah, that side of it's pretty varied and I can't give you any very concrete advice, I'm afraid.

Hope some of that helps. Quote me if you have any questions, and I'll come back and answer them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keziah)
    I'm out here now.

I suggest you apply for a city/town, because France is so much more rural. I'm in a small town, but getting anywhere is a bit of a nightmare, because there are so few trains.

It's easy to get a place - nearly everyone who applies gets one.

One of the major advantages is money. You still get your maintenance loan, but have no fees to pay, and you also get a grant (not means tested) and paid for your work. Also, a lot of schools provide accomodation. In my school, we have to pay 62 euros per month, which is basically just for bills, and my friends in another school here get their accomodation free.

I'm struggling to find French people to spend time with though. I thought it would be better than Erasmus, because I know people who go to universities often end up just hanging out with other UK and international students. But it's just really hard to meet people. I mean, I know people, like my teachers and students, and people in my dance classes, but no-one I know well enough to meet up with in my free time. Hopefully that'll get better soon - I've only been out here for 7 weeks.

Teaching isn't too bad. 12 hours a week isn't much at all. The pupils are extremely unmotivated and reluctant to speak, but I've not had any discipline problems as such. Your role largely depends on the individual teachers. In my BTS (business) classes, I have groups on my own, and we've mostly been doing roleplays, in business situations. With another teacher, I tend to take small groups/pairs out of the class for a few minutes at a time, and get them to read to me, or talk about the topic they've been studying. Another teacher gets me too choose a topic of my own to discuss with a small group every week, and another has me come into her classes once a month when they've finished a topic in the textbook, and do a presentation on the topic they've been studying, such as gap years/Erasmus, teenager/parent relationships, Christmas, etc.

So yeah, that side of it's pretty varied and I can't give you any very concrete advice, I'm afraid.

Hope some of that helps. Quote me if you have any questions, and I'll come back and answer them.
    Oooh, I couldn't have asked for anyone better to reply; we're doing the same course at the same uni.

What age range are you teaching? What area are you in?

Thank you so much for telling me your experience. I hope the social situation gets better soon, but like you said, it's such early days that it's bound to

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, I couldn't have asked for anyone better to reply; we're doing the same course at the same uni.

What age range are you teaching? What area are you in?

Thank you so much for telling me your experience. I hope the social situation gets better soon, but like you said, it's such early days that it's bound to
    I'm teaching lycée, so 15 to 18. But I also have some BTS students in the lycée -18 to 20 year olds. That's a bit weird, because I'm 20 too.

I'm in Avranches, in Normandie. It's pretty small and quiet, but it's quite pretty and has a good market.

ReputationRep:
    I put my application in a few days ago... with Quebec as my first choice. Anyone else wanting to go there, or is everyone applying to France? I'm so excited for my year abroad!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.