Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever contemplated how meaningless modern life is? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was stuck on the tube during rush hour today, something that happens sometimes, but today, for some reason, something clicked in my head.

I looked around and saw all the men were in suits, a lot of the women too. I thought that they had all woken up at around the same time this morning, dressed in the same way and had just spent 8 hours doing roughly the same thing.

I then thought that they were now all going home and essentially do little more than eat dinner and watch TV before going to bed and repeating it all over again until they die.

The thought of a future like that rather scares me, I must be honest.

Anyone else feel the same?

ReputationRep:
    Look on the bright side - you forgot about the weekends!

ReputationRep:
    I'm always wondering about this. Sometimes when you really look at it all it does seem just so... I don't know, not pointless, but... was it really meant to be this way? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    That's what they want you to think... now start wearing a tin foil hat and stop worrying.

Just be happy yourself and do a one-man revolution or something :]

ReputationRep:
    its pointless.. whats the whole point.. id rather do something different.. but its a cycle that ur use to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    Look on the bright side - you forgot about the weekends!
    Two days of going shopping, going to see the same films as everyone else, watching the same even crapper TV as everyone else, etc.

Great...

ReputationRep:
    What!? And you're a conservative!

ReputationRep:
    I think that thought at least once a week! The idea of doing that for the rest of your life is just boring. I hope I never get myself in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've always thought this. But that's life.

ReputationRep:
    Do what my mum does - sure she does the same thing, but she does alot of other things as well. You name it. she's done it - parachuting, bungee jumping, skiing, and shes in her 40s! live your life to the edge

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.
    I never want a year of my life to have been a waste. ie not doing something i could of done to improve or whatever. eurgh i hate routines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruceTaylor)
    Two days of going shopping, going to see the same films as everyone else, watching the same even crapper TV as everyone else, etc.

Great...
    Hey, nobody's stopping you from stepping outside the box! Out of interest do you work full time or are you still a student? (in which case you don't know how good you have it!).

The thread title is about the meaninglessness of 'modern' life. Imagine how much worse it'd be if you were a peasant in the middle ages, or having to fight in the 2nd World War. Be grateful that you're alive when you are - if you wantedto break with the humdrum routine, nothing's stopping you from jumping on a plane to Bangkok next week and spending a couple of years gallivanting around exotic corners of the world.

Basically, cheer up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruceTaylor)
    I was stuck on the tube during rush hour today, something that happens sometimes, but today, for some reason, something clicked in my head.

I looked around and saw all the men were in suits, a lot of the women too. I thought that they had all woken up at around the same time this morning, dressed in the same way and had just spent 8 hours doing roughly the same thing.

I then thought that they were now all going home and essentially do little more than eat dinner and watch TV before going to bed and repeating it all over again until they die.

The thought of a future like that rather scares me, I must be honest.

Anyone else feel the same?
    Read 1984 recently? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apassingfeeling)
    I'm always wondering about this. Sometimes when you really look at it all it does seem just so... I don't know, not pointless, but... was it really meant to be this way? :confused:
    Nihlisitc?

ReputationRep:
    Isn;t someone being a little too pessimistic?

ReputationRep:
    Life has always been meaningless.

There's no sense in being depressed about it-- you're here now, and your only hope is to try and get a job which you'll enjoy for at least some of your life. I've always thought that people who work in agriculture and manual labour must lead the most fulfilling lives, as they can actually physically see their acheivements. When you're pushing numbers about that don't really exist, what have you acheived at the end of the day?

But yeah.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Originally posted by Ellen120 Do what my mum does - sure she does the same thing, but she does alot of other things as well. You name it. she's done it - parachuting, bungee jumping, skiing, and shes in her 40s! live your life to the edge
    Was that a joke? If you want to live your life on the 'edge' join the Army or at least try to join SIS.

Back to the OP I feel like that every..single..day. Wana start a commune?

ReputationRep:
    Laughable thread.

All those suit-laden businesspeople were travelling home from their 100k per annum job in Rush Hour, and saw you in the carriage wearing your ripped baggy jeans and listening to your iPod really loudly while trying stop your skateboard falling onto other people's legs.

I bet they thought you were the meaningless one, mate. :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    i had a similar experience the other day

i went to the docs and they told me it was a nervous breakdown

ReputationRep:
    Then do one thing that really scares you every day. Then you'll have the rush back in your life.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.