Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever contemplated how meaningless modern life is? Watch

ReputationRep:
    if it doesn't give you fulfilment, **** it, find a different life style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Laughable thread.

All those suit-laden businesspeople were travelling home from their 100k per annum job in Rush Hour, and saw you in the carriage wearing your ripped baggy jeans and listening to your iPod really loudly while trying stop your skateboard falling onto other people's legs.

I bet they thought you were the meaningless one, mate. :toofunny:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Actually to be honest, I used to have the same thoughts when I was 12. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Laughable thread.

All those suit-laden businesspeople were travelling home from their 100k per annum job in Rush Hour, and saw you in the carriage wearing your ripped baggy jeans and listening to your iPod really loudly while trying stop your skateboard falling onto other people's legs.

I bet they thought you were the meaningless one, mate. :toofunny:
    The ****? Skateboarding? Ripped Baggy Jeans? I'm sorry, but at what point did I ever imply that I am a ****?

I wear shirts, waistcoats, et al.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've contemplated that many times and concluded that life is only good depending on your mindset and attitude towards life itself. In addition to that is how your relationship with people are, what you can do for others and not what others do for you.

/end cliche

ReputationRep:
    Classic existential angst.
    You suddenly realise none of it matters and there's no real escape.
    Just remember that you're free to do what you whatever you want, don't ever let others make your choices for you. Getting stuck behind some desk for the rest of my life is one of my biggest fears too, but it's avoidable.

/end pseudo-philosophy rant

ReputationRep:
    There are many people who get up, get dressed and go to work, yes. But there are also others who travel the world to explore, or to the aid of people or animals. Others go to war, others go to play rock concerts. Some people are photographers, models, authors, some people run countries... Life is what you make of it, isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    There are many people who get up, get dressed and go to work, yes. But there are also others who travel the world to explore, or to the aid of people or animals. Others go to war, others go to play rock concerts. Some people are photographers, models, authors, some people run countries... Life is what you make of it, isnt it?
    That's why I said modern life, implying the whole 9-5 thing, since that's what most people do. Believe me, I'm going to do anything and everything to avoid such an outcome :P

ReputationRep:
    Im never gonna take a job like that. I dont see why it depresses you OP, its not like you have to be like them someday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    Look on the bright side - you forgot about the weekends!
    what if you're a loner
    and have no one to go out with,you're stuck at home

well my life has been like that for 5 years,home,school,home school
    nothing else whatsoever
    suprised at myself for not killing myself.

ReputationRep:
    Everything is equally pointless.
    Being some kind of globetrotting adventurer is objectively no more interesting or valuable than being an accountant or a lawyer. I know people who think law is the most fascinating thing in the world, and even when they go off on holiday they take copies of fresh cases and draft legislation with them to read on the beach. I wouldn't be so quick to judge these people's lives as "meaningless."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    what if you're a loner
    and have no one to go out with,you're stuck at home

well my life has been like that for 5 years,home,school,home school
    nothing else whatsoever
    suprised at myself for not killing myself.
    Well if you work towards going to uni you can have a fresh start with new people - have to think positive, it could always be worse!

ReputationRep:
    I worked for 18 months and I woke up every day with a grin on my face, hurried to get ready for work, practically danced into the office and did an almost perfect job, and cheered everyone up with smiles. I loved it. I was happy. It's possible.

It's not what you do in life that matters, it's how you do it and with whom.

Do it concientiously.
    Do it with passion.
    Do it with vision.
    Do a good job.

Work with people you admire.
    Go to work in the rush hour for people you love.
    Rush home in the rush hour to see your family.

Use every chance to grow in as many ways as you can, use the time on the train to reflect on life. Commuting is great, I do miss it at uni! Life is what you make it, it's a cliche that works. This comes from a person who's been through a LOT and came out of the other end

Have an awesome life.

ReputationRep:
    I think the same. That's why I don't want to be stuck in an office for the rest of my life. I look at these people and think about the money they're earing - which is probably a good amount. But these people probably work at least 5 days a week, early in the morning til late in the evening. Where is the fun in that!

ReputationRep:
    I feel like that all the time.

But we've got to do what we've got to do. Maybe the ideal thing would be to inherit a hundred billion pounds so that you can choose to do any job you want part time for however long you want to and spend the rest of the time doing fun stuff like seeing your friends and painting, and travelling, and studying fun things and um, farming (?) and giving your friends lots of money so they can do the same :p:

ReputationRep:
    I would hope that most people think similar things, I certainly do on daily basis.

However, what you have to remember is that you won't be a student forever (unless, of course, you choose to be). What are you going to do that isn't conformist? That isn't a sarcastic question, but a genuine one. I am interested because I am at a stage in my life where I need to do something different. I am so insecure that I am constantly concerned about how others perceive me etc, but aren't we all? I am sure there are situations where everyone does things that they wouldn't normally do, to impress someone. For example, interviews, trying to impress a member of the opposite sex, changing their behaviour to fit into different social circles etc.

It is worse for me, I am a bloody trainee accountant on 16.3k and I don't like it. However, I am 25 and don't have a lot else to fall back on. I think that it is completely meaningless and am just conforming to society, something I hate to admit to. I am sure bankers on 100k feel that they are conforming too, but they have ridiculous amounts of money and are able to do whatever they want to do, which is something most of us are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    Hey, nobody's stopping you from stepping outside the box! Out of interest do you work full time or are you still a student? (in which case you don't know how good you have it!).
    Why do people like you try to convince students that their lives are not meaningless on the basis that when they cease to be students, their lives will be even more meaningless? Are you professionally retarded, or just a gifted amateur?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruceTaylor)
    I was stuck on the tube during rush hour today, something that happens sometimes, but today, for some reason, something clicked in my head.

I looked around and saw all the men were in suits, a lot of the women too. I thought that they had all woken up at around the same time this morning, dressed in the same way and had just spent 8 hours doing roughly the same thing.

I then thought that they were now all going home and essentially do little more than eat dinner and watch TV before going to bed and repeating it all over again until they die.

The thought of a future like that rather scares me, I must be honest.

Anyone else feel the same?
    Depends on your career. I'd never go into a job which involved wearing the same boring clothes day in day out, and working 8 hours doing basically nothing, ie sitting on my arse in an office. If this is you, and the thought scares you, get out of it now, set yourself free with a different career path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Depends on your career. I'd never go into a job which involved wearing the same boring clothes day in day out, and working 8 hours doing basically nothing, ie sitting on my arse in an office. If this is you, and the thought scares you, get out of it now, set yourself free with a different career path.
    This is me, and I want to but I have no idea what else I want/am able to do. I don't really have any specific passions so it is much more difficult to define my ideal job/career/reason for being.

ReputationRep:
    I think this too when I'm on the tube. A lot of men in suits, some hanging onto their last bits of their hair who do the same thing over and over each day.

Only then do I realise that life is a series of relentless, endless disappointments. :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.