The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I don't know, I mean if I make it to be a barrister, I don't think that would be boring. A lot of the people you are talking about really enjoy their jobs, and if you are thinking that the career you're looking to head into wouldn't be something you would enjoy each day, is there anything else that would? There must be something.

Also, that is just the day. Hopefully you'd have a family to go home to aswell, which would mean you'd enjoy your evenings too.
Reply 81
England Captain
Hmm, do you think there are people that go their whole lives not ever thinking about this? That's depressing. They must know that one day they will die and that will be it, right?

That's the meaningless mid- life crisis everybody has, which still doesn't change the fact, we all die in the end.

What do you hope to do with your life? Think i'm one of the few that actually wants to change things. That's why i took a psych degree instead of a law/ economics/ medical degree - even though with As i coulda. Anyways i don't care about wearing a suit when i'm older, making money.. That's last on the agenda.
Reply 82
Svenssen
Did it ever occur to you that some of these people (e.g. Bankers) had worked hard in their youth to secure the right qualifications to secure such jobs. And that having now achieved what they had set out to do, some of these people are now going to work, and bringing in quite a lot of money for themseleves and their families and trying to build a future for their children?

Did it ever occur to you that some of these people might actually really enjoy their lives and daily routines?

Did it ever occur to you that some of these people will seek (early) retirement once they feel satisfied they have achieved their goals/made enough money?

Normal people going to work making money is not meaningless.

Normally people in your situation will chose a different lifestyle e.g. crime, acting, music, stutman, tramp, bum etc etc etc.

Theres a million and one things one can do in life. I understand not everyone wants to do the norm and go to work every day. But calling it meaningless is a bit STUPID - earning a living/having a career is not meaningless.

In the framework of modern society, no it's not meaningless. But look at the bigger picture :confused:
Reply 83
Tom1390
That's the meaningless mid- life crisis everybody has, which still doesn't change the fact, we all die in the end.

What do you hope to do with your life? Think i'm one of the few that actually wants to change things. That's why i took a psych degree instead of a law/ economics/ medical degree - even though with As i coulda. Anyways i don't care about wearing a suit when i'm older, making money.. That's last on the agenda.

It's not always that easy. I took the Business route and am now, at 25, a year into a boring job as a trainee accountant. What I want to do is become a psychologist but that will take another 5-6 years and many £000's, so it is not always easy to do what you want to do. Unfortunately, not everyone decides what they want to do at the age of 18.
pcok
I don't know, I mean if I mak it to be a barrister, I don't think that would be boring. A lot of the people you are talking about really enjoy their jobs, and if you are thinking that the career you're looking to head into wouldn't be something you would enjoy each day, is there anything else that would? There must be something.

Also, that is just the day. Hopefully you'd have a family to go home to aswell, which would mean you'd enjoy your evenings too.

Inversely, as a barrister, I'm sure you'd have a very stressful job.. I mean, there are only like 10,000 in the UK right? And they can earn millions.. :p:
ahhh, don't let those Amish followers think they're right!!!!
Reply 86
Tom1390
In the framework of modern society, no it's not meaningless. But look at the bigger picture :confused:

Summed up perfectly in one sentence.

Why does anyone need 100k, 200k etc a year? I guess so they can send their kids to private schools/top uni's and follow in their footsteps.

The only issue is, how can anyone change it to see a difference in their lifetime?
Reply 87
AdaD
It's not always that easy. I took the Business route and am now, at 25, a year into a boring job as a trainee accountant. What I want to do is become a psychologist but that will take another 5-6 years and many £000's, so it is not always easy to do what you want to do. Unfortunately, not everyone decides what they want to do at the age of 18.

lol sorry i didn't explain myself completely.. i took a psych degree so i could understand people and make a change or a difference. Not so i could become a clinical shrink - which btw did you know is very competitive??
Reply 88
What sort of role are you looking to go into?

Oh I do indeed, hence the reason why I am not pursuing it.
Reply 89
Altruistic1
Inversely, as a barrister, I'm sure you'd have a very stressful job.. I mean, there are only like 10,000 in the UK right? And they can earn millions.. :p:

Hmm, stressful? Yes. But at the same time...exhilirating, exciting, and every day being different!

Haha, the money isn't really a factor for me. I want a wage I can provide for a family with, but I'd much rather be doing something I enjoy than something I didn't but just for the money. Not all barristers are rolling in it. But they are, on the whole, well paid.
I did today, but thats just because I'm unemployed and did nothing today apart from sat at the computer desk, literally. I've done nothing. But when I am working, I dont see it as meaningless, I earn money, I spend my money on stuff I enjoy; flying, going out drinking, stuff like that.
I do enjoy life, which means in my eyes its not meaningless.
Most of you lot on here are at university getting yourselves educated for a nice career, now I know during the day you might just sit around in your flats wasting the day away! (well my experience from visiting friends this weekend) In the long term and overall you are doing something with your life.
The only people who I think have meaningless lives are people who do just sit around all day, drink in the pub all day, bet on the racing all day and generally bum around and WILL do that until they die.
I find it hard to believe OP that your life is meaningless.
Reply 91
BruceTaylor
I was stuck on the tube during rush hour today, something that happens sometimes, but today, for some reason, something clicked in my head.

I looked around and saw all the men were in suits, a lot of the women too. I thought that they had all woken up at around the same time this morning, dressed in the same way and had just spent 8 hours doing roughly the same thing.

I then thought that they were now all going home and essentially do little more than eat dinner and watch TV before going to bed and repeating it all over again until they die.

The thought of a future like that rather scares me, I must be honest.

Anyone else feel the same?

thats why i plan to be rich
Reply 92
AdaD
Summed up perfectly in one sentence.

Why does anyone need 100k, 200k etc a year? I guess so they can send their kids to private schools/top uni's and follow in their footsteps.

The only issue is, how can anyone change it to see a difference in their lifetime?

Going deep lol... but when you consider the only difference between a clever tramp and a lucky business- man is opportunity and fortune, and then compare their situations; i think it's high time this modern framework witnesses some change :/
Reply 93
AdaD
What sort of role are you looking to go into?

Oh I do indeed, hence the reason why I am not pursuing it.

Hmm have no idea... have vague ideas of journalism possibly or going into feminist psychology :cool: What about you?
Reply 94
What? Life is beautiful. :smile:
Reply 95
Tom1390
Hmm have no idea... have vague ideas of journalism possibly or going into feminist psychology :cool: What about you?

Oh, it's just a pipe dream really.

How people think, and why they think what they do, has really started to interest me recently. As you may have deduced from my posts, I am not particularly happy in my accountancy job and I have spent the past 3 months researching alternatives; psychology is definitely the most appealing option but one of the most unrealistic too!

I flirted with the idea of doing a Graduate Diploma in Psychology but decided that time is not on my side and I don't have the money to fund that, followed by a masters and the fact that I don't think I am intelligent enough anyway!
Reply 96
This is the life. C'est la vie.
EssexDan86
Look on the bright side - you forgot about the weekends!

depends if you're a hardcore IB. Hence the saying 'your money or your life'
God, yes.

People work their arses off so that they can go and work their arses off so that they can go and work their arses off so that they can go and work their arses off doing a job they hate (or say they enjoy and are in denial) so that they can go out and buy **** that they don't really need and so that they can buy stuff and buy stuff and comsume and comsume and at the end of the day not feel any more fulfilled for any of it. People know this deep down but they are too scared to get up and scream: "I don't want any of this!!! This isn't what I really want!!!" They are too scared to get up and do what they always wanted to do with their lives. They are too scared to admit the fact that they work 10 hours a day in a job they can't stand so that they can wear a suit, shop at M&S, buy a Mercedes and get a mortgage. And some people work 10 hours a day in a job they can't stand and don't get any of those things - they've really got the crappest deal of all.
And then there are those people who do what they want to do (they are rare) but usually they end up poor and unrewarded for it - most people in reality like to do somethnig creative and fun but these jobs don't usually reward us with security which is what we all desperately cling on to.
We get home at the end of the day and watch TV and have our microwave dinners and don't question anything because we are too exhausted and are so worn out that we just don't give a crap anymore. We don't realise that all the adverts we have seen are encouraging us to go out and consume more and more (even if we think we are above that kind of manipulation - we are not, otherwise they wouldn't do it). We buy Nike trainers even though the supportive demand that we lend to such companies allows children to be virtually worked to death for 15 hours of the day thousands of miles away. Then there are people who support this kind of system (I bet they would think twice if it were they who had to work in the crap-hole factories while their mind gradually turned to mulch) by saying that it increases material welfare and raises GDP etc and that capitalism = freedom, as if material wealth was the end goal - the ultimate purpose of our whole existence. Consume consume consume earn earn earn earn earn work work work work work.

. . .

Rant over :p:

And I'm just as guilty. I'm not above it.
Reply 99
I completely agree with your points but I also think that we should work out what it is that makes suits happy or people in crummy jobs happy. Lots of people do things that help even though they might start out with money-based motivations. Many people do crummy jobs they hate because they can't think of alternatives or can't pursue those alternatives (and we should improve the system so people have the best shot at pursuing what they want to do), but many people do them because they genuinely want to make a difference. I suppose you might ask: well, who are they making a difference to? And why does it matter to them? Because aren't they just leading meaningless lives and isn't it all just fuelling a meaningless cycle? In the sense of that ultimate meaning, I'm not sure - although there are things in life that really make it worth living. All the other stuff sustains it, improves the quality of it.

We may all be bricks in a wall, but what exactly makes an individual so special that they want to be like .. a solitary brick dancing around supporting no one, unsupported? Isn't it great that we are all bricks in a wall? I am slightly pissed so this might not make any sense.

I was listening to a corporate lawyer talking today about his role in the recession and how he helped deal with all the details of the government bailouts and guarantees and I just thought, wow, even in your tedious-seeming job you have played a part in maintaining the lives and livelihoods of many.

Latest

Trending

Trending