Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone ever contemplated how meaningless modern life is? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin J)
    This thread reminds me of Trainspotting, the movie.
    "Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f****** big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of ******* fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the f*** you are on Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing f****** junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, f*****up brats you spawned to replace yourselves. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life. I chose somethin' else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got heroin? "

I agree with all, but the last line.
    Wow . . . that's fantastic writing there.

ReputationRep:
    yes, i have.
    but i still enjoy it, most of the time

ReputationRep:
    I love the trainspotting quote and the fight club quote is awesome.

Some of us don't know it, but we like asking the questions which lead nowhere. And if there is any reason or even has to be a reason for this lifestyle, of which we don't really choose but are pushed into, then it's to ask these questions.

I know I like asking meaningless, pointless questions that will lead absolutely nowhere except thinking of myself as wise.

Who cares. I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenssen)
    I wear a suit to work. I travel on the tube most days. I go home to the same bed (most of the time :P). And i get up and usually follow a similar routine the next day. But I also enjoy my work and the lifestyle that accompanies it.

I also look at the bigger picture. I have done things and been places many have not.

Yet I would appear to be one of those 'meaningless' people if you saw me on the tube today.

Only some of the time can you judge someone just by looking at them. And to be honest, in rush hour, most people on the tube will look depressed as fcuk at 8am - anyone who has experienced this on a working day will tell you the same.
    Hard to explain why but i think you're missing something.. The above isn't really seeing the bigger picture lol

ReputationRep:
    People always look miserable on the tube.. What's worse is, they not only look alienated from other people (avoiding eye contact, smiling is out of the question!) but they look alienated and anomic.

As for the question, I contemplate this every day.

What is the alternative to modern living? Well the other extreme is subsistent living which has it's own set of problems. It's a miserable life of want and greed.

Gandhi thought the alternative to modern living (an evil penetrating the soul) was this... and spiritualism of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom1390)
    Hard to explain why but i think you're missing something.. The above isn't really seeing the bigger picture lol
    Maybe if u got off internet forums and actually got a life you would see a bigger picture yourself.

But obviously you dont seeing as you get off replying pointlessly to my posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KwungSun)
    Simon Nicholls?
    Yep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BruceTaylor)
    I was stuck on the tube during rush hour today, something that happens sometimes, but today, for some reason, something clicked in my head.

I looked around and saw all the men were in suits, a lot of the women too. I thought that they had all woken up at around the same time this morning, dressed in the same way and had just spent 8 hours doing roughly the same thing.

I then thought that they were now all going home and essentially do little more than eat dinner and watch TV before going to bed and repeating it all over again until they die.

The thought of a future like that rather scares me, I must be honest.

Anyone else feel the same?
    That's really just your age talking, everyone feels like this a some point in their youth. What you can't see now is that people doing the 9-5 office jobs, who go home to their families, who go on holiday a couple of times a year and who live a typical "modern life" have no less meaning than somebody born into wealth, who dosn't have to work and can holiday whenever and buy whatever they want or than somebody who dedicates their life t scientific research. Also, modern life allows for much more free time than back in the day. People worked much harder, for much less too.

The meaning you're looking for is something you make for yourself, for many people it's in relationships and family, for others it's in having a career and progressing, some try to make a difference in the world through charity or science. It really just depends what you want. You've yet to find something truly meaningful and until then, it will continue to baffle you.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if u got off internet forums and actually got a life you would see a bigger picture yourself.

But obviously you dont seeing as you get off replying pointlessly to my posts.
    Exactly the same.. Directed at yooooo!!

ReputationRep:
    Existential crisis?

Those people might not think their lives are meaningless, though.
    Life is only what you make it!

ReputationRep:
    Did it ever occur to you that some of these people (e.g. Bankers) had worked hard in their youth to secure the right qualifications to secure such jobs. And that having now achieved what they had set out to do, some of these people are now going to work, and bringing in quite a lot of money for themseleves and their families and trying to build a future for their children?

Did it ever occur to you that some of these people might actually really enjoy their lives and daily routines?

Did it ever occur to you that some of these people will seek (early) retirement once they feel satisfied they have achieved their goals/made enough money?

Normal people going to work making money is not meaningless.

Normally people in your situation will chose a different lifestyle e.g. crime, acting, music, stutman, tramp, bum etc etc etc.

Theres a million and one things one can do in life. I understand not everyone wants to do the norm and go to work every day. But calling it meaningless is a bit STUPID - earning a living/having a career is not meaningless.
    I completely agree. It annoys me when people put down others for doing a certain job when obviously someone has to do it and it's not realistic to expect everyone to be or do something exciting like being a musician or an athlete which are, to be honest, although I'm sure people work hard to get there, quite selfish jobs. I personally, have more respect for people who work hard to do necessary jobs which contribute to the community for much less money.

Plus, not everyone necessarily wants to be a 'rockstar' or something. Personally, the idea of having a stable 9-5 job with a small, cosy house and a family sounds lovely to me. There are much worse ways to live your life. Sometimes I think we have it so good in this country that people take it for granted, in some countries there aren't enough jobs, there's alot of violence, there are wars going on, huge health problems etc... I count myself lucky to be able to go to university, get whatever job I want and live a nice, normal life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    I completely agree. It annoys me when people put down others for doing a certain job when obviously someone has to do it and it's not realistic to expect everyone to be or do something exciting like being a musician or an athlete which are, to be honest, although I'm sure people work hard to get there, quite selfish jobs. I personally, have more respect for people who work hard to do necessary jobs which contribute to the community for much less money.

Plus, not everyone necessarily wants to be a 'rockstar' or something. Personally, the idea of having a stable 9-5 job with a small, cosy house and a family sounds lovely to me. There are much worse ways to live your life. Sometimes I think we have it so good in this country that people take it for granted, in some countries there aren't enough jobs, there's alot of violence, there are wars going on, huge health problems etc... I count myself lucky to be able to go to university, get whatever job I want and live a nice, normal life.
    Exactly. Im not saying that taking an alternative route/finding your feet in a different direction is bad. Of course, everyone has their own intentions etc.

Its just the OP was acting like normal daily life is such a drag. Like you said - nice house, food on the table etc. So many people - even some in the UK - struggle to achieve this. Having fun is one thing, but being grateful for the things you have and the oppertunities you will have in the future is so important.

Therefore 99% of people on that train/tube have a meaningful life, and have quite a lot compared to other people. Im not denying that some of them are bored/question their daily routines/lives - but I assure you - they would rather continue their 'meaningless lives' then potentially throw away security/stability for "another perspective to life". By all means yes they can have fun do what ever wacky insane stuff they want to do to 'differentiate' themselves. But nearly all of them will admit they have meaningful lives, compared to some of the alternatives.

But all im saying is, youll see me as one of those people on the tube, yet im extremely grateful and at the same time completely happy with my work/life balance etc etc etc. And i assure you, i am no where near to having a boring life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awara_Jawaan)
    People always look miserable on the tube.. What's worse is, they not only look alienated from other people (avoiding eye contact, smiling is out of the question!) but they look alienated and anomic.

As for the question, I contemplate this every day.

What is the alternative to modern living? Well the other extreme is subsistent living which has it's own set of problems. It's a miserable life of want and greed.

Gandhi thought the alternative to modern living (an evil penetrating the soul) was this... and spiritualism of course.
    I make it my business to smile unless I think someone may say "who are smiling at" *thump*

today was brilliant for smiling, the trees with dancing leaves of beauty, and the joy of belle and Sebastian in my ears. Would I say those things if my emotions weren't so fulfilled though? If it wasn't for such emotions, such feelings of joy, love, happiness and fulfilment, I think I'd feel like ****, like things are meaningless, like I should change. OP if you're not fulfilled in some way, find it out and change yourself so that you are. Whether that be from a big ass TV (doubtful but maybe you are that materialistic) to finding a moral cause you agree with *turn ve**n!* to whatever. It really sounds to me that that's what you lack, fulfilment. but it is 3:47 so maybe I'm just spewing out ******** (what a ****** disclaimer:rolleyes: )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.