The Student Room Group

Getting into law degree

Do you have to get the advertised grades to get into a good unit for law? Have got predicted grades lower than the advertised grades - been predicted A B B at end of yr 12 but want to got to uni that asks for AAA - should I bother applying to these? What’s your experience of applying and the difference between advertised grade entry requirements and grades you were asked to get in an offer?
If you think that you're capable of getting AAA then you can try and apply. I am sure that if you really want to go to that uni and if you put significant effort in then there's no reason why you can't get those grades.

Sometimes universities lower their entry requirements in certain circumstances. For example, I had a contextual offer from university which originally had their entry requirements as A*AA, but they lowered them to AAB, because according to them I came from a poorer background, although I don't see myself as poor. But otherwise, the offer is usually the same as what they state in their entry requirements.
Just remember that any Law course asking for AAA can be choosy - they will get enough applicants with predicted grades at that level and above.
However, check if you qualify for any lower grade contextual offers at AAA Unis as that may put them witthin your grade range.

The usual advice for your 5 choices is :
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades (1 grade max)
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grades
Original post by ClaireBoorman
Do you have to get the advertised grades to get into a good unit for law? Have got predicted grades lower than the advertised grades - been predicted A B B at end of yr 12 but want to got to uni that asks for AAA - should I bother applying to these? What’s your experience of applying and the difference between advertised grade entry requirements and grades you were asked to get in an offer?

You have next term to improve your predictions.
Original post by ClaireBoorman

Hi there

It's almost always the case that you have to secure the minimum grade requirements to be considered for a conditional offer. Some students are eligible for a contextual offer which has reduced entry requirements than those for other students on the same course. You are automatically considered for one if you meet the eligibility criteria. In any case, you've still got one year to improve your grades; but please do remember that unis look at your predicted grades in deciding to give you an offer so even if you get AAA in the actual A-levels, having ABB or AAB predicted might lower your chances of being offered a conditional place. So please make sure you're putting in as much effort throughout the entire year as you would do at the end. Sometimes it just so happens that you're predicted AAA and you get a conditional offer but achieve, say, AAB in A-levels- even then some unis don't decline your place and can accept you if they think you were a strong candidate.

I also think that applying for 2 unis that you might achieve the minimum grades for and 3 unis that you know you will achieve the minimum grades for is a wise choice. This way you can distribute the risks of getting an offer.

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending