The Student Room Group

how to i discharge myself from cahms

im 17 and dont want to receive treatment (for AN) bc i dont need it anymore, i just want to discharge myself bc the appointments are draining

how do i do this? im going to spoiler my BMI because i think it would be useful

[SPOI.LER] *16.9* [/SPOI.LER]
Your height will also be useful.

You can’t self-discharge. You’re still a minor, and can only be discharged on the approval of your mental health team.

If you are fortunate enough to have actually got a referral to CAMHS, I’d hang on to it. Referrals are getting few and far between (even before Covid-19) and so many people that need their services are having to go without.

Try and see beyond the apparent interference in your life, use the service as intended and move on. If you remove yourself or do not cooperate with CAMHS, it would be hugely difficult to be re-referred.
Original post by Anonymous
Your height will also be useful.

You can’t self-discharge. You’re still a minor, and can only be discharged on the approval of your mental health team.

If you are fortunate enough to have actually got a referral to CAMHS, I’d hang on to it. Referrals are getting few and far between (even before Covid-19) and so many people that need their services are having to go without.

Try and see beyond the apparent interference in your life, use the service as intended and move on. If you remove yourself or do not cooperate with CAMHS, it would be hugely difficult to be re-referred.

i dont want to get re-referred because someone else needs it more than i do. i know its difficult to get on a waiting list and its not fair that im getting treatment instead of someone else whos been on a list for so long.

do you think my parents can do something about it?

my height is 157cm
i dont want to get re-referred because someone else needs it more than i do. i know its difficult to get on a waiting list and its not fair that im getting treatment instead of someone else whos been on a list for so long.

do you think my parents can do something about it?

my height is 157cm

No I promise you deserve all the treatment you get!! Within time everyone will get the treatment they deserve and are waiting for. It’s okay to be selfish when trying to get better. Once you’re better you’ll be able to leave and never look back. Your parents can’t help no. You need to try and change your mindset then gain weight. It’s important to be mentally fit before leaving.

Are you willing to progress? Have your progressed during your time there?
No I promise you deserve all the treatment you get!! Within time everyone will get the treatment they deserve and are waiting for. It’s okay to be selfish when trying to get better. Once you’re better you’ll be able to leave and never look back. Your parents can’t help no. You need to try and change your mindset then gain weight. It’s important to be mentally fit before leaving.

Are you willing to progress? Have your progressed during your time there?

yes ive definitely progressed, and ive committed to wait gain pretty much and im finding recovery okay. thats why i think i dont need them anymore because i get kinda stressed w people knowing my weight apart from myself, it feels kinda invasive even though i know im gaining.
yes ive definitely progressed, and ive committed to wait gain pretty much and im finding recovery okay. thats why i think i dont need them anymore because i get kinda stressed w people knowing my weight apart from myself, it feels kinda invasive even though i know im gaining.

Just hold on a little much longer x. You need to gain the weight back to be discharged first. You can’t really ask to be discharged the moment you feel or is getting better. You’re bound to relapse if you know it or not and it’ll be worse than before. The brain CAN recover from anorexia (so does the body) so having the foundation to be able to have a successful and relapse-free (hopefully!) life is essential to build that foundation for not going back step one.

You’ve beeen doing so well so don’t throw all your hard work away and your weight is extremely underweight so at least work up to a bmi of 18. I’ll give it a year. Have you been helped in changing your mindset about food? Really important in how you see food when trying to recovering.
im not going to relapse because i know how miserable i was.
i stopped eating because i hated myself, not because i wanted to lose weight lol
im not going to relapse because i know how miserable i was.
i stopped eating because i hated myself, not because i wanted to lose weight lol

To lose weight or not whatever the reason you still have to gain weight to be discharged
To lose weight or not whatever the reason you still have to gain weight to be discharged

i know i was just saying that my weight gain wont cause a relapse
I think it's worth finishing your treatment plan before being discharged.

You may think that you are fine now, but you could really benefit from the rest of treatment.
i know i was just saying that my weight gain wont cause a relapse

And I’m saying you need to gain weight and be mentally stable to be discharged.
And I’m saying you need to gain weight and be mentally stable to be discharged.

mentally I am stable
Original post by Meduse
I think it's worth finishing your treatment plan before being discharged.

You may think that you are fine now, but you could really benefit from the rest of treatment.

so do I have a choice whether to continue w treatment or not

Quick Reply

Latest