Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Um I didn't find anything on this before so sorry if I'm being a dummy.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about poppies. Not too many people wear them at school for remembrance. My dad always makes me wear one but I don't mind because it shows respect for the sacrifices made for us. He even got one of those neat big plastic poppies for the car! (Maybe I should wear one of them, that would be funny )

ReputationRep:
    I always wear a around this time of year.

ReputationRep:
    I always wear one when I can, usually just for the week before, not over a month like the newsreaders.

ReputationRep:
    I love wearing them this time of year. It's awesome to see so many people wearing them

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear it but I do donate to the RBL each november.

ReputationRep:
    <crazy ramblings>
    I honestly don't understand why it is expected that you will wear one. I think it's great that people do, but why is this the only time that so many people all donate money to one cause?
    I feel that there are more important issues in the world than those that money from the sale of poppies will go to, yet quite a few people find it strange if you don't have one.
    Don't get me wrong, I think remembrance is really important, I just don't know why it should be treated so differently to other causes. Thousands of times more people die of aids/poverty/malnutrition etc each year than in war yet these issues don't have the same publicity/public opinions.
    </crazy ramblings>

ReputationRep:
    White poppies ftw
    I buy a red one too though just because I feel guilty about not wearing one.

ReputationRep:
    I wear a red and a white poppy.
    I will respect those who fight, but I will not condone the fighting.
    The British Legion do awesome work, don't get me wrong. But since when has war ever had a happy ending?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumTheory)
    I wear a red and a white poppy.
    I will respect those who fight, but I will not condone the fighting.
    The British Legion do awesome work, don't get me wrong. But since when has war ever had a happy ending?
    Depends on what you are fighting for, and whether you are on the winning side.

Sometimes diplomacy and conciliation does not work. Sometimes you have to take a stand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin-jesusfreak)
    <crazy ramblings>

Don't get me wrong, I think remembrance is really important, I just don't know why it should be treated so differently to other causes. Thousands of times more people die of aids/poverty/malnutrition etc each year than in war yet these issues don't have the same publicity/public opinions.
    </crazy ramblings>
    Well, there's World Aids Day, Comic Relief, Children in Need... in my opinion, they (especially the last two) get more publicity than Remembrance Day.

I buy/wear the poppy the week before Remembrance Sunday :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i try to wear one when i can

i hate how people have the leaf upside down

ReputationRep:
    Wear one every year. This year has been different, worn about three at separate times. Damned stickies keep falling off, give us back our pins!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Wear one every year. This year has been different, worn about three at separate times. Damned stickies keep falling off, give us back our pins!
    You didn't get a pin?

ReputationRep:
    I always wear one at this time of year . I bought an enamel pin one from Tescos the other day, so I"m currently wearing 2 ,a paper one and my pin..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)
    Well, there's World Aids Day, Comic Relief, Children in Need... in my opinion, they (especially the last two) get more publicity than Remembrance Day.

...and they both get significantly more donations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)

Ok, that's true actually, I hadn't thought of those!
    It still seems like there is more of an expectation that you will buy a poppy than support these other causes, maybe I'm just imagining that though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin-jesusfreak)
    . Thousands of times more people die of aids/poverty/malnutrition etc each year than in war yet these issues don't have the same publicity/public opinions.
    Did you seriously even read what you just wrote?

If you can, thank your teacher. If you can read it in English, wear a ******* poppy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    Did you seriously even read what you just wrote?

If you can, thank your teacher. If you can read it in English, wear a ******* poppy.
    Yes, I can read that, and I did...Although I can make very little sense of your post:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)
    You didn't get a pin?
    Scottish Poppies are different from English ones- no leaf and no pin, you get a stalk if you are lucky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    Scottish Poppies are different from English ones- no leaf and no pin, you get a stalk if you are lucky.
    :giggle: I know there was some crackdown on pins in some of the schools around here- too unsafe to give kids pointy things, obviously.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.