Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cooro)
    :giggle: I know there was some crackdown on pins in some of the schools around here- too unsafe to give kids Glaswegians pointy things, obviously.
    I've changed that to give a possible reason for the disappearance of pins up here.

OR they've worked out that it makes you buy more:cool:

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't. Never got round to buying one cos I never saw them for sale round college, and never saw anyone in college wearing one. I completely forgot actually.
    Seems like it's becoming less and less of a big deal, but it's not, i'm just getting less aware since they did loads more for it in my secondary/primary school...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    I've changed that to give a possible reason for the disappearance of pins up here.

OR they've worked out that it makes you buy more:cool:
    :giggle: I've given you rep for that, it made me giggle.

This thread reminds me, just after I bought my poppy I took it home, left it on the kitchen table for an hour, and came down to find my cat had dismantled it and it was in four pieces strewn across the kitchen floor :dry:

ReputationRep:
    OP, you didnt find any threads about this already~? There are about 200 all saying the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumTheory)
    I wear a red and a white poppy.
    I will respect those who fight, but I will not condone the fighting.
    The British Legion do awesome work, don't get me wrong. But since when has war ever had a happy ending?
    White poppies? Enlighten me! I've never heard of them before :o:
    Do they represent peace?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    No I didn't. Never got round to buying one cos I never saw them for sale round college, and never saw anyone in college wearing one. I completely forgot actually.
    Seems like it's becoming less and less of a big deal, but it's not, i'm just getting less aware since they did loads more for it in my secondary/primary school...

Which is weird, seeing as the campaign's raised a record amount of money this year and nearly every news outlet has commented on how there are more poppy wearers this year than there seemed to be previously.

Not having a go, for the record, just commenting on how it can look different to different people.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few people at my school wore them. THey did the usual coming round during tutorial sessions to sell them. Good stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martin-jesusfreak)
    Yes, I can read that, and I did...Although I can make very little sense of your post:confused:
    He's basically saying that you obviously don't understand the idea behind the Poppy Appeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by General E. Useless)
    Um I didn't find anything on this before so sorry if I'm being a dummy.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about poppies. Not too many people wear them at school for remembrance. My dad always makes me wear one but I don't mind because it shows respect for the sacrifices made for us. He even got one of those neat big plastic poppies for the car! (Maybe I should wear one of them, that would be funny )
    I made one about this yesterday, about how only a handful of students in my college were wearing them. The busy moderators got busy and locked the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    He's basically saying that you obviously don't understand the idea behind the Poppy Appeal.
    Erm, ok...I assumed it was raising awareness of the sacrifice people have made in the past and are making today as well as raising money to help those affected by these sacrifices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Which is weird, seeing as the campaign's raised a record amount of money this year and nearly every news outlet has commented on how there are more poppy wearers this year than there seemed to be previously.

Not having a go, for the record, just commenting on how it can look different to different people.
    Lol I know, it's strange. I think it's because those around me aren't wearing them...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I can read that, and I did...Although I can make very little sense of your post:confused:
    He means be thankful for what you've got because people died to give you that opportunity.

Now, do as he said and wear a ******* poppy.

ReputationRep:
    I wear one every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisti_kate)
    He means be thankful for what you've got because people died to give you that opportunity.

Now, do as he said and wear a ******* poppy.
    Not sure if you're joking or not...But this kind of "What do you mean, you don't have a poppy??? :O :O" is exactly what my first post was about, I am grateful for what others have done, why is it assumed that I don't because I haven't chosen to donate money to this cause?
    If people don't donate money to children-in-need and don't have a Pudsey badge, it wouldn't be regarded in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    LOADS of people in Northern Ireland wear them. Well about half the population does actually, but that's still more than anywhere else in the UK I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if you're joking or not...But this kind of "What do you mean, you don't have a poppy??? :O :O" is exactly what my first post was about, I am grateful for what others have done, why is it assumed that I don't because I haven't chosen to donate money to this cause?
    If people don't donate money to children-in-need and don't have a Pudsey badge, it wouldn't be regarded in the same way.

You're right, it does hold more of a significance. Why? I'm not sure I can tell you. I don't know if anyone could - the poppy is a symbol which means something slightly different to everyone.

To some it's the memory of a father, a brother, a husband, a grandfather or a greatgrandfather. To others it's a memory of a significant moment of human history, a fear of what may come again, of losses that once occured, that may occur again, of losses that are still ongoing.

War has been in the forefront of the public's eyes for 7 years now since the beginning of the Afghanistan campaign in Oct 01, and more and more people feel like they have something to say about it. Whether or not you agree with the reasons the British - and other - Armed Services are stationed anywhere, they are your fellow compatriots, doing jobs which save lives and are all too often vilified. This is the best chance of the year to remind them - and everyone close to them - that they are thought of highly, and I won't ever stop doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tetrahydrocannabinol.)
    Do they represent peace?
    In theory, mostly however they represent pissing on remembrance day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    In theory, mostly however they represent pissing on remembrance day.

As long as you donated and get a poppy then i dont think its pissing on remembrance day, as those who the charity was set up for benefit.

Do they not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    As long as you donated and get a poppy then i dont think its pissing on remembrance day, as those who the charity was set up for benefit.
    White poppies? Don't think so.

I wear one when I can so in the lapel of my coat or in my uniform at work but I can't wear one if I am wearing a jumper or t-shirt. Saying that I pin one to my bag. If I knew where I could buy white poppies I'd feel muh happier wearing those.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.