The Student Room Group

contacts whilst swimming?

does anyone wear contact lenses whilst swimming?
i was told not to by my opticians but is it actually that dangerous as long as i bin them straight after?
just really don’t want tan lines from glasses
Original post by lara!
i was told not to by my opticians but is it actually that dangerous as long as i bin them straight after?

It’s an infection risk that’s why they tell you not to.

It’s not about binning them it’s about swimming with them whilst they’re still in.

I don’t really see how you can swim with glasses anyways. And for tanning just take your glasses off
Original post by _Rusty_

I don’t really see how you can swim with glasses anyways.

I swim with sunglasses on (on holiday) and it's totally doable - you might get some splashes but you can still see fine.

Goggles might be something else to consider, OP - you can get prescription ones (I got some for around £20 online, can't remember the name of website now though :redface: )
It is dangerous. It may cause infection.
you can wear prescription googles while swimming.
Original post by lara!

1. If water treated with high doses of chlorine (a.k.a swimming pool water) or saltwater gets into eyes that have contact lenses on them, it can cause the lenses to shrivel up and quickly & painfully irritate the eyes.
2. It is also a danger to wear contacts in the water because not only does a lot of swimming pool water (despite the large doses of chlorine in it) and sea water contain a lot of bacteria, but if this bacteria gets under the contact lenses from a splash, then it can lead to a serious eye infection (eyes are normally self-cleaning through tear drop fluid but when you have contact lenses suctioned onto the eyes, they can't clean themselves properly and can become vulnerable to bacterial eye infections).
3. In a swimming pool, river or seaside environment, not only will everything you touch be unhygienic, but if you need to suddenly attend a contact lens issue (for example something gets in your eye, or a lens suddenly slips), you will have neither the clean fingers nor general ability to deal with the situation quickly (for example, how long will it take you to get out of the pool, walk to the changing rooms, wash your hands and find a mirror? Its going to take more than just a minute or 2!) and any situation which leaves you both suddenly unable to see properly (as well as unable to deal with that), is a dangerous situation for both your eyes and your general safety.

"tl;dr": LISTEN TO YOUR OPTICIAN.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest