Personal statement stress

Watch this thread
bowlingforsoph
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
We have until the end of next week to get the first draft of our personal statement done.

I know that I want to study English lit and film studies at uni, but I’m really struggling with knowing exactly what I want to write.

My tutor left a comment on it this morning saying that what I’ve written so far is too narrowly focused on my interest in gender and feminism in literature, and that it doesn’t link to my stated interest in film (I talked about being interested in a unique narrative structure, but I didn’t even really finish what I was writing before she commented on it). She says to be more broad with it since I’m under on the character count, which is only because I haven’t really done much on it yet.

I feel mortified by this whole process, maybe just because I’m an anxious and self-conscious person, so having that kind of constructive criticism so early on in the writing process is just making me feel really bad about my capability of writing this, especially when I don’t know what I’m supposed to be articulating. I thought it was alright until I got that comment, but now I just feel a bit defeated, which is definitely an overreaction, but one I can’t avoid.

What am I supposed to do? I have no idea what to write anymore.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bowlingforsoph )
We have until the end of next week to get the first draft of our personal statement done.

I know that I want to study English lit and film studies at uni, but I’m really struggling with knowing exactly what I want to write.
Why have you got this deadline? It's crazy - the UCAS deadline is months away. Tell your tutor you aren't ready and will think about it over the summer.

I'm a teacher involved with UCAS and we aren;t hassling our students - not even the October deadline people.
bowlingforsoph
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Why have you got this deadline? It's crazy - the UCAS deadline is months away. Tell your tutor you aren't ready and will think about it over the summer.

I'm a teacher involved with UCAS and we aren;t hassling our students - not even the October deadline people.
Our head of sixth said it’s to get it done with so we don’t have to stress out over summer or something.

If we don’t get the first draft done by the end of term, then we have to come into school during our free periods (our sixth form lets us spend our study periods outside of school).
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Our head of sixth said it’s to get it done with so we don’t have to stress out over summer or something.

If we don’t get the first draft done by the end of term, then we have to come into school during our free periods (our sixth form lets us spend our study periods outside of school).
Sounds like bullying to me - how is doing it in a rush a great idea

They can't make this stipulation - get parents to complain.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

My tutor left a comment on it this morning saying that what I’ve written so far is too narrowly focused on my interest in gender and feminism in literature, and that it doesn’t link to my stated interest in film (I talked about being interested in a unique narrative structure, but I didn’t even really finish what I was writing before she commented on it). She says to be more broad with it since I’m under on the character count, which is only because I haven’t really done much on it yet.

I feel mortified by this whole process, maybe just because I’m an anxious and self-conscious person, so having that kind of constructive criticism so early on in the writing process is just making me feel really bad about my capability of writing this, especially when I don’t know what I’m supposed to be articulating. I thought it was alright until I got that comment, but now I just feel a bit defeated, which is definitely an overreaction, but one I can’t avoid.

What am I supposed to do? I have no idea what to write anymore.
Hiya!

I'm sorry that your tutor's comments have thrown you so much, and that you're being put under huge pressure to produce a first draft so early on. I don't think it's been helpful of your tutor to look at an incomplete first draft (though I'm sure she felt she was being helpful and proactive - so it was done with good intentions) :nope:

Is your tutor teaching you English Lit/Lang, or Film Studies at school? Do they have knowledge of these subjects? I don't want to add to any confusion but - as the resident arts & humanities Personal Statement Reviewer for TSR's PS Review service - I don't entirely agree with your tutor's comments about being more broad. Breadth and depth is important, yes: you mustn't come across as a one-trick (or one period/era/genre, in the case of literature and film) pony, and it's important to go into some detail on any prose/poetry/films cited in your PS. But talking about your specific interest in gender and feminism doesn't fall into that trap, as I assume you are talking about different writers throughout the ages, perhaps? It's OK to have and talk about special/particular interests and whatever you write should reflect your genuine interest, passion and experiences in the two subjects.

My advice to you at this stage is that your first draft doesn't need to be anywhere near perfect (there's no such thing as a perfect PS!). You just need something down on paper, to get through this initial stupid deadline/hurdle. So if I were you, I'd just write whatever you want to/feel resonates with your interests, so that you have roughly 4000 characters on paper. Then you can shut your teacher up, in that you've handed something in for now (and everyone's PS will inevitably change over the summer, following uni open days and further reading, etc.) and will have something tangible to work with/edit over the next few months :yep:

As I mentioned, I'm a PS Reviewer on here and I'd be happy to look at your draft once the PS Review service opens for the next UCAS cycle. We will open sometime in August, if you want someone to look over it? You can create a new thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/for...lay.php?f=1372 . It's a secure part of the site, so no one except trained and vetted PS Reviewers can see/access your PS. It also means it doesn't get cached by the UCAS plagiarism checker

Good luck and keep your cool/stick to your guns! :hugs:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
PS. Your interest in film doesn't have to be the same/align with your interest in literature - so don't worry about that comment either! :nah:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (41)
35.65%
They're exactly what I expected (29)
25.22%