JPF6
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have good BTEC predicted grades (D*D*D*- D*DD) however i have low GCSEs (5s and 6s) and want to study economics but have only a 5 in GCSE maths. The universities i have chosen to select are:
Nottingham Trent University
University of Leicester
University of East Anglia
Aston University
Undetermined 5th choice

Are these good options to choose from or am i underweighing myself?
The BTEC entry requirements are often DDM-DDD. Whereas i have way above that but barely scrape the GCSE entry requirements.

GCSE Maths requirement in economics is often not a flexible subject so had to aim for the lower ranked universities.
Any universities you recommend and believe is possible for me to enter?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JPF6)
How to Avoid 5 Rejections - look at the section abiut Entry REuirements carefully - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
and
Applying for Economics - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/economics_degree
University of Leicester
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JPF6)
I have good BTEC predicted grades (D*D*D*- D*DD) however i have low GCSEs (5s and 6s) and want to study economics but have only a 5 in GCSE maths. The universities i have chosen to select are:
Nottingham Trent University
University of Leicester
University of East Anglia
Aston University
Undetermined 5th choice

Are these good options to choose from or am i underweighing myself?
The BTEC entry requirements are often DDM-DDD. Whereas i have way above that but barely scrape the GCSE entry requirements.

GCSE Maths requirement in economics is often not a flexible subject so had to aim for the lower ranked universities.
Hi JPF6
I am currently a first-year student studying at the University, so I can give you some more information about what it's like to study here
Regarding economics, you will be located on the Brookfield campus, which is the School of Business for our University, this building was just recently established, so everything is extremely modern!

With Economics at Leicester, you also have the opportunity to do a year in industry, which is really great to gain work experience, you will receive a lot of support from the Careers Team regarding everything to do with your placement, so you don't feel overwhelmed! You also have the option to do a Year Abroad which is where you can study your course in 1 of 26 countries, and it's great to increase your confidence levels and explore new cultures. Either of these additions will add on an extra year.

Regarding your course, there will be a mixture of lectures, seminars and individual learning, so you get a great balance of everything! If you want to find out more about the course structure, year by year, the experiences of past students who have studied here, or how your course will assess you, I'll link to the website here:
https://le.ac.uk/courses/economics-bsc/2022

I recommend researching more about these Universities, through Prospectuses, talking to the current students studying there, or maybe see if you can go to an Open Day, just so you get a better feel of the campus, and see if you can imagine yourself studying there for the next couple of years. We have an upcoming Open Day, so feel free to come along and ask any subject-specific questions you have on the day too:
https://le.ac.uk/open-days

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask them
Last edited by University of Leicester; 4 weeks ago
annlena
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,I need to talk to someone studying in the university of Surrey.
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by annlena)
Hi,I need to talk to someone studying in the university of Surrey.
Hi there,

To introduce myself – I'm Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

It's great to hear that you are interested to study Economics at Surrey. I would suggest speaking to our admissions team as they may be able to advise on you on the entry requirements and allow you to ask them some questions!

You can call them on the number below:

Tel: +44 (0)1483 682222
Monday to Friday between 10am - 12noon and 2pm - 4pm.

Please let me know if you have any questions as I am here to help

Joao
Economics
Last edited by University of Surrey Student Rep; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads