what are the chances of appealing to the exam board for a resit?

Watch this thread
valorantgamer123
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i failed 3rd year but a main part of that was due to not being able to submit my dissertation even though i had it fully written out and completed due to the website crashing.

Throughout the year i have also been dealing with mental health and seeing a doctor.

What are the chances i’ll be able to appeal to the board and be able to resit in the summer instead of retaking the whole year, as i literally have my dissertation completed already?

The other credits i failed were because i focused on my dissertation and only answered 2 out of the 5 questions.
CambPhilosophy
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
this will depend on your uni and course. contact your Student Union as well as any academic advisors/tutors you have who are there to support you. the process for appealing and the likelihood of success will depend on lots of factors specific to your uni, course and circumstances. if you want to say what uni you go to I might be able to give more advice, but the best people to talk to are people from your uni. best of luck.
cheadle
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Once you have your official exam board letter, make an appeal within the stated time period. What you will have to argue is that there were extenuating circumstances that prevented you from submitting your dissertation that the exam board did not know about when they made their decision. You should offer an explanation as to why you haven't presented this information sooner. You should state what these are, with details of dates etc, and attach supporting evidence from your GP and anyone else you might have been seeing for mental health treatment. If you contacted anyone in the uni setting about this, include details of that too (who & when). Request that you are given a resubmission attempt in August. If they do this, and you pass, you will prevent having to repeat the year.
Last edited by cheadle; 4 weeks ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Cheadle has given good advice here.

But be prepares for a rejection. This is very unorthodox and rarely happens.
nousernameplease
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Absolutely challenge like they've advised above, but definitely don't get your hopes up. Not answering questions because you were focused on your dissertation is not extenuating circumstances, as everyone has a dissertation to do alongside their other studies, it is part of your course and you are expected to manage. The website crashing also isn't really an extenuating circumstance because no one made you try to submit so late that a website crash took you past the deadline - that's your lack of time management (unless there was an alternative EC to explain that). Fingers crossed for you
valorantgamer123
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nousernameplease)
Absolutely challenge like they've advised above, but definitely don't get your hopes up. Not answering questions because you were focused on your dissertation is not extenuating circumstances, as everyone has a dissertation to do alongside their other studies, it is part of your course and you are expected to manage. The website crashing also isn't really an extenuating circumstance because no one made you try to submit so late that a website crash took you past the deadline - that's your lack of time management (unless there was an alternative EC to explain that). Fingers crossed for you
thank you for this reply. i have had extenuating circumstances accepted for my dissertation regardless of the website crashing due to mental health, i was told i would be able to submit this in the summer. however, this was never honoured as my results came through and they are now expecting me to repeat the entire year even though my dissertation would bring up my credits allowing me to just resit the failed exams. this is why i would like to appeal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads