Extenuating circumstances based on my mental health rejected

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I applied for extenuating circumstances on 3 pieces of university coursework. They were all ACCEPTED for uncapped reassessment. However, after a final exam board meeting, 2 have been retracted and only 1 remains accepted.

Please read the details below because I honestly believe that this is disability discrimination.

1. One of the pieces of reassessment that was formerly accepted but has now been retracted is my dissertation. I was going to wait until summer reassessment to do it, but my department head and dissertation supervisor recommended that I attempt to do it and try to receive a simple 40 pass mark so that I will have enough credits to graduate and meet my MA conditions. After this, I could then redo it to my standard. I had 5 days to do it before the deadline and miraculously managed to secure a 60. Because of this higher than expected grade, the uni retracted my summer reassessment because apparently it aligns with my grades which shows that my mental health did not affect my assignments. This is a lie. My grades are: 68, 63, 72, 65, 76, 76, 58, 71, 71. Where does a “60” align????!!?

2. The second piece of work that was retracted was a non-submission which I was failed for. If it is true that they’re rejecting my previously accepted claims because they align with my current marks, where does a “0” for non-submission align with: 68, 63, 72, 65, 76, 76, 58, 71, 71????!!?

I have been so low that I can’t work on the one piece of reassessment that has been approved. This will affect my future employment and my PhD application. I am being punished for doing better than expected, as if mental health renders someone incapable.

Please help me
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The 60 aligns because in 4 of the 9 prior pieces you got a 2.i score, so the 60 makes it 5 at 2.i and 5 at I. This isn't very controversial, imo, and you should really congratulate yourself for nailing a 60 with everything you had going on.

The 0 is weirder but my guess is they would say that because your other grades align and they have concluded your mental state was level enough to get stuff done, there's no reason that you could not have submitted. On this account, it is a straightforward fail absent of any other considerations. This is the only way I think it makes any sense.

You should speak to your academic advisor for clarification as a matter of urgency.
Last edited by gjd800; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by gjd800)
The 60 aligns because in 4 of the 9 prior pieces you got a 2.i score, so the 60 makes it 5 at 2.i and 5 at I. This isn't very controversial, imo, and you should really congratulate yourself for nailing a 60 with everything you had going on.

The 0 is weirder but my guess is they would say that because your other grades align and they have concluded your mental state was level enough to get stuff done, there's no reason that you could not have submitted. On this account, it is a straightforward fail absent of any other considerations. This is the only way I think it makes any sense.

You should speak to your academic advisor for clarification as a matter of urgency.
I had a 2:1 in 4/9 but they were higher than 60, so this still proves nothing.
gjd800
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I had a 2:1 in 4/9 but they were higher than 60, so this still proves nothing.
Well, that is your opinion. Mine is based on.my experience as an academic dealing with these sorts of claims.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
In fact 3x 2.i and 1x 2.ii so...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by gjd800)
Well, that is your opinion. Mine is based on.my experience as an academic dealing with these sorts of claims.
I stated my factual results? I didn’t state an opinion? Thank you for your professional answer, I appreciate it. This post no longer will need any further replies from you. Have a good day
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I stated my factual results? I didn’t state an opinion? Thank you for your professional answer, I appreciate it. This post no longer will need any further replies from you. Have a good day
Your opinion is that 'this proves nothing'. But in reality, they have seen a 2.i mark and looked at 3 prior 2.i scores, 1 2.ii score and deduced that the 60 is broadly congruent. You might have more luck challenging the 0, they are likely not gonna bump up an already ballpark mark by 5 points. I appreciate that this is disappointing.
Indililam1
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the above poster. You have at least two marks that are either below or very close to the 60 threshold; it's not unreasonable to assume that your performance has not been significantly impacted by your extenuating circumstances. This would also explain why you have been given a 0 for the second assessment as they do not believe that your circumstances justify any special measures.
Obviously this is not for me to decide and I'm not judging whether or not your circumstances are justified, but it seems to be in line with the university's assessment.
You can appeal if you wish, but different universities have different tolerances when it comes to these things so don't expect a favourable outcome unless you can conclusively prove that your performance has been affected. Good luck.
nousernameplease
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Also agree with the others, they are going off classification alone for the 60 which makes sense as the entire degree is a classification and not a mark. I don't have an explanation for the zero though, so I'd focus on challenging that. I would also be really frustrated if I were in your situation, but the uni has the right to do this and the fact that they can retract ECs after exam boards is made known in their exceptional circumstances policy. No matter what happens, I hope that you are ok with your final result and everything works out for you.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's a bit unprofessional to remove them and I think I was focus on challenging the '0'.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ignoring normalization the grades for your first complaint look something like this
Name:  21241251.png
Views: 14
Size:  30.7 KB
I would argue that throwing a 60 into that isn't unreasonable.

I can't speak for the other bit (I've no interest in getting involved any more on this based on the attitude slung around on this thread.)
mnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Cant really summarise better than what is in the first reply.

I suspect you are still im the frustration phase & its clear you feel aggrieved, but ultimately you should be proud of your overall grades.

Exam boards have to look at things through an objective system that can applied for all students and that is what has likely happened. They have to have a system so all students are marked on an equal level academically. It might seem unfair on a personal level, unfortunately with any system it’s not perfect but lines have to be drawn.

one module score is unlikely to hold you back in a PhD application, and in the interviews you’ll have the opportunity to demonstrate more deeply your academic capacity for research and work ethic. And it will probably make no impact on a graduate employment application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (147)
40.83%
They're exactly what I expected (88)
24.44%