Referencing

Watch this thread
Millar80
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for referencing. I find trying to reference as I go along kind of stops my writing from flowing. Takes me longer to write the reference than it does to actually write my paragraph and then I lose my chain of thought!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Use a citation manager if you find it hard. Most people do this now, really.
Noble.x
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Try only cite your assignments first ie (millar,2021). Then once you’re completely done with everything use Google scholar to copy and paste all the references. Highlight all the citations and check to see if all the citations are added to the reference list (does that make sense?). What reference style is it?
Millar80
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Noble.x)
Try only cite your assignments first ie (millar,2021). Then once you’re completely done with everything use Google scholar to copy and paste all the references. Highlight all the citations and check to see if all the citations are added to the reference list (does that make sense?). What reference style is it?
It’s Harvard but the university base it on cite them right. I suppose I could use a referencing manager like endnote and then when they r in order just go through them for any changes. No tool out there does it 100% correctly and my lecturers have a huge hang up on it.
Noble.x
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Millar80)
It’s Harvard but the university base it on cite them right. I suppose I could use a referencing manager like endnote and then when they r in order just go through them for any changes. No tool out there does it 100% correctly and my lecturers have a huge hang up on it.
You do use journals right? Google scholar also does Harvard referencing I believe
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for referencing. I find trying to reference as I go along kind of stops my writing from flowing. Takes me longer to write the reference than it does to actually write my paragraph and then I lose my chain of thought!
I found that sorting references before starting and after finishing writing an essay helped.
So, when reading around the subject before starting writing, if I found something I might use, I'd create the reference there and then, and create a word document with all the references in. While writing, I'd put comments on places where I needed to add the reference, with the basic author/date, which meant I could keep going with my train of thought. Then once finished... go through all the comments and sort the referencing out properly.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Use Mendeley
Edit any references that come out looking weird

I do mainly numeric referencing, but whenever something comes out funny in the bibliography, I just fix it. You can do the same for the actual brackets if necessary.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
I found that sorting references before starting and after finishing writing an essay helped.
So, when reading around the subject before starting writing, if I found something I might use, I'd create the reference there and then, and create a word document with all the references in. While writing, I'd put comments on places where I needed to add the reference, with the basic author/date, which meant I could keep going with my train of thought. Then once finished... go through all the comments and sort the referencing out properly.
This is good advice if you can be bothered (of course, we should all be bothered!).

Another trick is to screenshot or photograph the Titles pages to reference at the end.

Tweaking a citation manager's output takes less time than doing it all from scratch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (15)
36.59%
They're what I expected (11)
26.83%
They're worse than what I expected (15)
36.59%

Watched Threads