The Student Room Group

a level prediction

Hi! Recently, just after my AS exams, I received 3A predictions. However, I really want to apply to Oxford for History and Politics. Would that be enough or should I find a way to increase my grades? Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by IoanaR
Hi! Recently, just after my AS exams, I received 3A predictions. However, I really want to apply to Oxford for History and Politics. Would that be enough or should I find a way to increase my grades? Thank you!

if u actually get 3A then u will definitely get into Oxford.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/history-and-politics
Reply 2
Thank you for answering! The only thing is that some of my teachers, me included, believe that is not a sufficiently competitive application in terms of Oxford.

Original post by chzy_yb
if u actually get 3A then u will definitely get into Oxford.
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/history-and-politics
Reply 3
Original post by IoanaR

the entry requirement is AAA so you do not need to worry about grades, it's not necessarily the case that higher predicted grades above the requirement mean more chance of an offer, the important thing is meeting the requirement. Focus on putting together a competitive application now - personal statement, preparing for admissions test etc.
Reply 4
Thank you! However, I spoke to my tutor and he strongly believes that these grades are no strengthening my application. Therefore, he suggested to re-sit my exams in October and hopefully increase at least 2 of my grades to an A* and just apply LSE and UCL as my first options. He also mentioned that if apply to Oxford, apart from not presenting an extremely competitive application in terms of grades, LSE may only reject me on the basis that I would choose Oxford in case I receive an offer and therefore there's no point in considering me fairly on my merit. This is not the first time I encounter this opinion, but it also doesn't really make sense to me because as far as I am aware of universities cannot see where candidates have applied, of course, except for their institution. Thanks again!
Original post by IoanaR
Thank you! However, I spoke to my tutor and he strongly believes that these grades are no strengthening my application. Therefore, he suggested to re-sit my exams in October and hopefully increase at least 2 of my grades to an A* and just apply LSE and UCL as my first options. He also mentioned that if apply to Oxford, apart from not presenting an extremely competitive application in terms of grades, LSE may only reject me on the basis that I would choose Oxford in case I receive an offer and therefore there's no point in considering me fairly on my merit. This is not the first time I encounter this opinion, but it also doesn't really make sense to me because as far as I am aware of universities cannot see where candidates have applied, of course, except for their institution. Thanks again!

Hi there, just a few things I noticed here.

With your predictions it appears you do meet the entry requirements, however I would agree that higher predicted grades would strengthen an application in terms of academic standing (though I'm unsure whether having any grades higher than what they ask for would be of any tangible benefit)

If you want to apply to Oxford, go for it, you have 5 choices after all. I'm not so sure about your teacher's point about LSE rejecting candidates who also apply to Oxbridge, as this same assertion has been banded about concerning Durham also - essentially suggesting that they will reject you as they are viewed as "second-choices" (I have been told they don't have any access to data as such other than being able to make an educated guess based on early-application). I would certainly expect LSE receives a huge amount of early-applications where Oxbridge has also been put down (as is the case for Economics!).
Original post by IoanaR

Universities cannot see which other universities you have applied to - your teacher is completely wrong!
I’m not entirely sure about the course that you want to apply for, but I imagine the History Aptitude Test (HAT) will be one of the most important factors in whether you are invited to an interview.
Original post by IoanaR

The point about universities rejecting candidates "because they might have applied to Oxbridge" is a load of old *******s. It's intensely depressing that people in positions of authority are still peddling this nonsense.

Several years ago I asked my former academic tutor, who was a professor at one of the universities alleged to carry out this policy, whether it was true.

He stated: "The important point to make clear to
applicants is that Uni X does NOT discriminate against Oxbridge applicants a) because it has no certain way of knowing if they are, and b) it would not get the quality of students it does, if it did so. Uni X WANTS the bright candidates that Oxbridge has missed, so good ones should not be deterred from applying."
Reply 8
Thank you for the reply. However, I was thinking if 3As is sufficient for Oxford - History and Politics, then I’m assuming 3A grades is alright to have for LSE, KCL and UCL as well. I looked at the entry requirements but it’s important I bear in mind the fierce competition for a limited number of places. That’s why I’m quite unsure and I’d like some further clarification if possible!

Original post by ageshallnot
The point about universities rejecting candidates "because they might have applied to Oxbridge" is a load of old *******s. It's intensely depressing that people in positions of authority are still peddling this nonsense.

Several years ago I asked my former academic tutor, who was a professor at one of the universities alleged to carry out this policy, whether it was true.

He stated: "The important point to make clear to
applicants is that Uni X does NOT discriminate against Oxbridge applicants a) because it has no certain way of knowing if they are, and b) it would not get the quality of students it does, if it did so. Uni X WANTS the bright candidates that Oxbridge has missed, so good ones should not be deterred from applying."
Original post by IoanaR
Thank you for the reply. However, I was thinking if 3As is sufficient for Oxford - History and Politics, then I’m assuming 3A grades is alright to have for LSE, KCL and UCL as well. I looked at the entry requirements but it’s important I bear in mind the fierce competition for a limited number of places. That’s why I’m quite unsure and I’d like some further clarification if possible!

If anything LSE or UCL will be harder to get with your grades because there is no admissions test, no interview - it's only your grades and ps. The Oxford demystified chapter for hispol was wrote by someone who was predicted 3As. You should be fine provided you have already registered for the HAT (deadline was 30th Sept I believe) - HAT score and contextualised gcse score matter the most for shortlisting.
Original post by IoanaR

Consider why you don't have A* predictions.
If you think it is possible for you to get these grades then resit.

Applying to any uni is a competitive process and you have a lot of competitors.

Any additional work you do now to improve your skills and knowledge should also help improve your performance in an entrance test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending