The Student Room Group

2022 Conservative leadership election [Official Thread]

Boris Johnson is due to resign later as leader of the Conservative Party.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62064789

An election for a new Conservative leader and prime minister will now take place.

Under the rules of the Conservative Party, MPs will vote in rounds, eliminating a candidate each time, until only two candidates remain. The party members will then select the next leader from the final two.

Candidates declaredKemi Badenoch, former junior minister โ€“ eliminated in round 4 of MPs' voting
Suella Braverman, attorney general โ€“ eliminated in round 2 of MPs' voting
Rehman Chishti, MP for Gillingham and Rainham โ€“ withdrew before nominations closed
Jeremy Hunt, former foreign secretary โ€“ eliminated in round 1 of MPs' voting
Sajid Javid, former health secretary โ€“ withdrew before nominations closed
Penny Mordaunt, trade minister โ€“ eliminated in round 5 of MPs' voting
Grant Shapps, transport secretary โ€“ withdrew before nominations closed
Rishi Sunak, former chancellor
Liz Truss, foreign secretary
Tom Tugendhat, chair of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee โ€“ eliminated in round 3 of MPs' voting
Nadhim Zahawi, chancellor โ€“ eliminated in round 1 of MPs' voting

Spreadsheet of MPs backing candidates: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ffqemZ-YOi7AvAw8HbxmMd0vIbsOXLZ7KpAmNQPD2r8/htmlview?pru=AAABggGwqEw*PjjiP46v_Jl5jn0Fc_Ks4w#gid=0
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Starting gun on this now all but fired!
Suella Braverman declared last night.

All leadership options seem pretty horrid as even a moderate conservative.
(edited 1 year ago)
So who is it going to be?

Truss - allegedly popular but to me seems a weak candidate

Zahawi - difficulties around his business dealings past, but seems strong, although recent events appear confusing

Sunak - once the strongest candidate but now a busted flush apparently

Hunt - a possibility, seems popular in several parts of the party

Wallace - surely the front runner but can seem overly stodgy in interviews

?? dark horse candidate - nobody strong yet, but the Tories often pick an apparent non-runner
Steve Baker has just told the BBC that he will likely stand.

A wonderful choice for conservatives who hate the environment and wish to play culture wars while the country becomes poorer.
Original post by Crazed cat lady
Steve Baker has just told the BBC that he will likely stand.

A wonderful choice for conservatives who hate the environment and wish to play culture wars while the country becomes poorer.

Those kinds of mad views are pretty nearly mainstream in the modern Tory Party.
Saw it suggested that Penny Mordaunt has 50 MPs signed up to her campaign.

Would be interesting, certainly a contrast to the (to date) current PM. As probably one of the biggest advocates for trans rights in parliament she's probably not a culture warrior either.
Since universal suffrage the Conservative Party while in office has only ever sourced from a great office which nicely limits our field.

Truss - Strong favourite among party membership If we believe Con Home and assume great office. Very moderate, boring and unknown. Brexiteer convert.

Hunt - Rejected the Boris government and was a respected Health Secretary. A moderate and a liberal. Remoaner.

Raab - Moderate right but makes gaffes and has minimal parliamentary support. Brexiteer.

Javid - As per his time in the Home Office, a not ideologically attached populist. Was supporting some pretty lefty stuff before leaving as chancellor. Brexiteer convert.

Sunak - Strongest parliamentary base but about as economically conservative as a paddling pool. Brexiteer.

Zahawi - Technically now a possibility, relatively unknown but known to be relatively conservative. Brexiteer.

Patel - Actually conservative but should not be in parliament after her Israel actions. Brexiteer.

History strongly suggests this is our field and a poor one at that.

Michael Gove or Graham Brady would be ideal.
To be honest Iโ€™ve never really been enamoured with her. Sheโ€™s reasonably competent and like her being an actual patriot and that she supported Brexit but she just lacks something for me.
Original post by Rakas21
To be honest Iโ€™ve never really been enamoured with her. Sheโ€™s reasonably competent and like her being an actual patriot and that she supported Brexit but she just lacks something for me.

She's been careful to keep most of her politics hidden, perhaps playing the long game, but she ticks the Brexiteer box which for most of the 'electorate' (a polite word for what is actually a small clique) is a plus. I don't think she'll be in the top two, but who knows really.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
She's been careful to keep most of her politics hidden, perhaps playing the long game, but she ticks the Brexiteer box which for most of the 'electorate' (a polite word for what is actually a small clique) is a plus. I don't think she'll be in the top two, but who knows really.

You may be correct but if her real politics is pro trans woke rubbish then thatโ€™s a concern. We need somebody who does no more than hold us where we are socially rather than indulge that stuff.
Original post by Rakas21
You may be correct but if her real politics is pro trans woke rubbish then thatโ€™s a concern. We need somebody who does no more than hold us where we are socially rather than indulge that stuff.

She got critiqued on Mumsnet when she did an interview there for not being willing to answer any of the culture war questions. I can't tell from reading back through some things she said in the House what she really thinks about it. I think female politicians need to be clear that women are women and we have a right not to have our spaces invaded by biological males.

/
(edited 1 year ago)
Apparently videos of Theresa May are rather popular on TikTok according to my students.

Perhaps a comeback for the Dancing Queen? :curious:
*looks longingly at Rory Stewart*
Original post by 04MR17
*looks longingly at Rory Stewart*

Doesn't stop him being a typical austerity guy, a welfare cutter and an anti-rights Tory.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/rory-stewart-not-bad-tory-16514588

Slightly better than the others is all I would say really.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
She got critiqued on Mumsnet when she did an interview there for not being willing to answer any of the culture war questions. I can't tell from reading back through some things she said in the House what she really thinks about it. I think female politicians need to be clear that women are women and we have a right not to have our spaces invaded by biological males.

/

Iโ€™m going to be honest and say Iโ€™m surprised, I never thought you were with Rowling. Agree though, I donโ€™t actually mind liberalism, only the mad elements Momentum types are trying to force upon us all.
Original post by 04MR17
Apparently videos of Theresa May are rather popular on TikTok according to my students.

Perhaps we are thinking about this all wrong.

What if we could keep the blonde locks and the exuberance but without the moral questions. A small side step to sanity. :colone:

(edited 1 year ago)
Something that occurred to me while watching Vine but if Mordaunt could get Tugenhat, Elwood, Mercer and Wallace then that May tip the balance. I and a lot of others who voted for Brexit and are concerned for Russia and Britainโ€™s place in the world would probably find such a ticket appealing. All defended our nation with their own lives, true patriots, canโ€™t question their national pride, mostly Brexiteers. It would also enhance the contrast with the Labour Party the next time one of their MPโ€™s is stupid enough to say national pride is a bad thing.
Another thing of note is that we may be about to jump from the 97/01 generation (Cameron, May, Boris) to the 2010+ generation.
Original post by 04MR17

A lot of people are saying she or Raab will be appointed in the interim.

Latest