How much laptop storage for Uni?

Watch this thread
rosiees17
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm buying a new laptop for Uni soon, and an iPad, but I don't know how much storage I'll need on each.
I'll either get 512gb or 1tb on a laptop and 256g or 512gb on an iPad. Would the smaller amounts last 3 years or should I play it safer and get the larger amounts?
Advertisement
rosiees17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by rosiees17)
I'm buying a new laptop for Uni soon, and an iPad, but I don't know how much storage I'll need on each.
I'll either get 512gb or 1tb on a laptop and 256g or 512gb on an iPad. Would the smaller amounts last 3 years or should I play it safer and get the larger amounts?
Just to note I'm getting both because I know a laptop is almost essential but I want an iPad and apple pencil to write notes on as I'm notoriously bad at organising paper notes
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'd recommend getting larger storage, since honestly storage is pretty cheap nowadays (compared to other components used in the devices). Personally I'd recommend getting a laptop with a decent amount of storage, and getting a 2TB external harddrive or something for good measure. However 512GB storage would be fine if you have a 2TB external HDD. That should be more than enough even if you save everything, and you'll be able to back it up.

I'd probably suggest in that case looking at solid state drives for the laptop (even going down to 256 GB for an SSD, with a big HDD external backup, will be a good deal). You would just need to remember to save files, photos etc (anything that isn't software or that you use daily) on the external HDD, as SSDs slow down when you start filling them up (but balance that out by being faster if you don't clog them up - which with a big external HDD, is easy to manage ).

If you feel you need a tablet too I'd recommend just getting a cheaper one for on the go use and a more expensive laptop for when you're sitting down and working - usually a cheap tablet will suffice for most day to day things if you have an actual computer too! If you are only going to be using a tablet though you might need to get a more expensive one, and you probably will want as much storage as possible - as you can't easily use an external HDD with tablets normally I think, unless you run it through a computer anyway (which brings us back to getting a laptop!).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
Advertisement
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rosiees17)
Will you be storing videos on your laptop? EG for some sort of video photography course?

For the vast majority of courses, a 256GB hard drive would see you through to the maximum 20 year life of the laptop without you ever filling the hard drive up.

The laptop that I'm typing this on, I've had it for about 6 years now. I've got plenty of personal photos on it and loads of word processed documents, plus a few spreadsheets and thousands of emails. I've used 72.5 GB.

I'd say it all depends on the cost difference. Given that you can get fantastic used laptops with 256 GB SSD hard drives for less than £210, what price would you be looking at for a 512 GB laptop?

Also, if you ever run out of hard drive space on your laptop you can either add an additional internal hard drive - on some models. Or you can replace the hard drive with a larger one. The long term trend for SSD's will be for them to continue falling in price.
rosiees17
Rep:
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Will you be storing videos on your laptop? EG for some sort of video photography course?

For the vast majority of courses, a 256GB hard drive would see you through to the maximum 20 year life of the laptop without you ever filling the hard drive up.

The laptop that I'm typing this on, I've had it for about 6 years now. I've got plenty of personal photos on it and loads of word processed documents, plus a few spreadsheets and thousands of emails. I've used 72.5 GB.

I'd say it all depends on the cost difference. Given that you can get fantastic used laptops with 256 GB SSD hard drives for less than £210, what price would you be looking at for a 512 GB laptop?

Also, if you ever run out of hard drive space on your laptop you can either add an additional internal hard drive - on some models. Or you can replace the hard drive with a larger one. The long term trend for SSD's will be for them to continue falling in price.
Probably not, maybe a few but nowhere near the amount you'd need to store doing photography.
I'm getting a MacBook air though which is why I need to get it right the first time as I won't be able to change it, but based on how much storage you said you've used I'm thinking 512gb will be more than enough - especially as I'm doing a course which will probably require less written work than most degrees.
Advertisement
rosiees17
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'd recommend getting larger storage, since honestly storage is pretty cheap nowadays (compared to other components used in the devices). Personally I'd recommend getting a laptop with a decent amount of storage, and getting a 2TB external harddrive or something for good measure. However 512GB storage would be fine if you have a 2TB external HDD. That should be more than enough even if you save everything, and you'll be able to back it up.

I'd probably suggest in that case looking at solid state drives for the laptop (even going down to 256 GB for an SSD, with a big HDD external backup, will be a good deal). You would just need to remember to save files, photos etc (anything that isn't software or that you use daily) on the external HDD, as SSDs slow down when you start filling them up (but balance that out by being faster if you don't clog them up - which with a big external HDD, is easy to manage ).

If you feel you need a tablet too I'd recommend just getting a cheaper one for on the go use and a more expensive laptop for when you're sitting down and working - usually a cheap tablet will suffice for most day to day things if you have an actual computer too! If you are only going to be using a tablet though you might need to get a more expensive one, and you probably will want as much storage as possible - as you can't easily use an external HDD with tablets normally I think, unless you run it through a computer anyway (which brings us back to getting a laptop!).
Ah that makes sense, getting an external HDD seems like a sensible option then, thanks for your advice
and yes I probably will look at cheaper ones before I buy anything
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (143)
40.51%
They're exactly what I expected (86)