The Student Room Group

Getting into oxford

Hi everyone,
I am looking to apply for oxford for 2023 to study geography. I know no one who has gone to oxford for geography before so was wondering if anyone had any support eg tutoring for the TSA assessment or interview prep to help with your application? If so could you message me any advice or recommendations thankyou:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by tilliew2005
Hi everyone,
I am looking to apply for oxford for 2023 to study geography. I know no one who has gone to oxford for geography before so was wondering if anyone had any support eg tutoring for the TSA assessment or interview prep to help with your application? If so could you message me any advice or recommendations thankyou:smile:

You don't need a tutor to prepare for TSA necessarily as it is a skills based test - all the past papers are available for free online and Cambridge Assessment (who, perhaps a bit confusingly, run the Oxford TSA) have also produced question guides which are useful to read. I would suggest just doing as much practise as you can and if you run out of past papers you can also use BMAT Section 1 papers as they are pretty much the same. If you're a state educated UK student in year 12/13 (or the equivalent in Scotland/NI) you can also apply for Zero Gravity mentoring who will hopefully be able to pair you with a mentor doing Geography at Oxford who will be able to help you!
Hi everyone,

Talk to your teacher - yu don't need a tutor.
Reply 3
Hi everyone,

@azby1098 !! :smile:

Thank you for the @ Culver!

Hello @tilliew2005

Feel free to PM me for more info as i’m willing to help/be a mentor if you are interested.

I’m an incoming first year at St Catz for Geography at Oxford. I applied twice and was rejected the first time and received an offer this year.

I spent so much time trying to perfect my application, every aspect and I’d love to share what i’ve learnt with you.

I really wasn’t the best at the TSA, even after practicing a lot, and my score in the end wasn’t anywhere near spectacular but because all of my other elements were really strong it didn’t matter.

All the tutors look for is someone with a good set of grades in the context of your school, a personal statement that shows real interest in Geography and is well written and if you get to interview, the ability to think out loud and coherently talk through your thought process whilst showing a GENUINE interest in the subject matter (this can’t really be taught).

I’d be more than happy to help you with your application/interview prep/TSA so please pm me :smile:
Hi everyone,

Heya! Oxbridge Mind specializes in helping students get their dream offer at Oxford or Cambridge :smile: We have tons of free resources full of top tips on how to ace your application process from personal statement, admissions test and interview! We also have tons of free past papers for your admissions test. If you would like a free consultation, just get in touch with our team and we'll be able to help you out!
Hope this helps and do let me know if you have any questions!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind
I'm thinking of applying to Oxford for chemistry 2023 entry!
Does anyone know someone who studies chem at oxford?
What tips do you have on interviews & personal statements?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DP4300
I'm thinking of applying to Oxford for chemistry 2023 entry!
Does anyone know someone who studies chem at oxford?
What tips do you have on interviews & personal statements?

Heya! For personal statement what I usually do is just google some good examples of personal statement (to get inspiration). Then I would bullet point my previous experience/academics/extracurricular activities and apply them to the subject I want to study.

For interviews, I would recommend finding out what kind of questions they are usually asking during the interviews and practice answering them by recording yourself and listening back to your answer :smile: If you need any extra helps, Oxbridge UCAS Guide offers tons of free advice for personal statements and interviews!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
Oxbridge Mind
Original post by azby1098
Thank you for the @ Culver!

Hello @tilliew2005

Feel free to PM me for more info as i’m willing to help/be a mentor if you are interested.

I’m an incoming first year at St Catz for Geography at Oxford. I applied twice and was rejected the first time and received an offer this year.

I spent so much time trying to perfect my application, every aspect and I’d love to share what i’ve learnt with you.

I really wasn’t the best at the TSA, even after practicing a lot, and my score in the end wasn’t anywhere near spectacular but because all of my other elements were really strong it didn’t matter.

All the tutors look for is someone with a good set of grades in the context of your school, a personal statement that shows real interest in Geography and is well written and if you get to interview, the ability to think out loud and coherently talk through your thought process whilst showing a GENUINE interest in the subject matter (this can’t really be taught).

I’d be more than happy to help you with your application/interview prep/TSA so please pm me :smile:

Here you are @azby1098 being a hero again!

Quick Reply

Latest