The Student Room Group

Can I get into any university with this...?

I'm currently doing 3 Highers (French, English and Computing) and an Int 2 in Spanish, only an Int 2 because my school didn't offer it last year.
I want to study French and Spanish as a degree, preferably at Strathclyde but possibly Glasgow, St Andrew's or Edinburgh.

Next year I'm doing Advanced French, and Higher Spanish and either Advanced English or another Higher, at college.

I can't seem to find the entry requirements for 2 sittings. Am I even likely to get in at all with only 3 Highers in 5th year?

What are your predictions?

Scottish universities typically look for four Highers, as you know. They also tend to say that they want more if you spread them over a longer period (but often don't go into details).

I'd suggest if you get reasonable grades in your three Highers this year, and take the 2 AHs and a Higher next year, doing okay there (so you end up with maybe AABB or so in your Highers, and maybe BB or AA in your AHs) then I don't think your application would be anything close to as crippled as the thread subject would suggest!

(EDIT: Also, IIRC, it's worth bearing in mind that Strathclyde are quite fond of an A in Higher English, no matter what subject you're applying for.)
I haven't got predicted grades yet but I'm expecting a B/C in English, *hopefully* an A in Spanish and French, and an A/B at Computing.

And thank you :smile:
With AABC or ABBC at Higher (assuming you get what you're hoping for at Spanish at Int 2 and go on to do similarly at Higher) and a couple respectable (BB?) Advanced Highers, I would think you'd be a perfectly sensible applicant. I did actually at one point have a leaflet from Strathclyde giving how they weighted Advanced Highers vs. Highers, but I'm afraid I think I've thrown it out.

That said, I'm not an admissions tutor, so take with a pinch of salt! I'd suggest seeing what you get in your prelims, and then email Strathclyde to ask for some more details (particularly to clarify what they're looking for over multiple sittings). Admissions tutors are, in general, quite friendly and very helpful.

You're welcome!

Latest

Trending

Trending