The Student Room Group

EPQ on criminology

Hello,
Could anyone please help me with my EPQ title, so far I have three different topics in mind. However I would rather use a philosophical type question, but I’m not sure how to reword these to fit that. Also may someone suggest the one in which Id probably be able to gather the most info on. Many Thanks
Traumatic experiences that may trigger criminal activities
Are prisons breeding ground for criminal activity?
Should all offenders be kept in one prison irrespective of their crime?
Hi :smile: I don't know much about criminology, but I got an A* on my EPQ so hopefully I can still be of some use haha.

For the EPQ, it's really important that your question can be evaluated properly so it would be useful if your title was a statement that you could argue different viewpoints for, or a question that opens up a debate.

Your first topic is incredibly broad so I definitely suggest narrowing it down. What type of trauma? Childhood trauma? From an abusive relationship? Religious trauma? And what exactly is your arguement? That it triggers criminal activities directly, all the time? Or does it just increase the likelihood? Are you assessing how much of an impact trauma has on the probability that someone is involved in crime? This is a really interesting topic btw and depending on what you choose and hoe you phrase your questions it could be an amazing EPQ.

Your second topic is also quite interesting. Firstly, I suggest phrasing it in a way that isn't a yes or no question. Secondly, I'm assuming that there are a lot of relevant factors worth discussing here so you're going to have to plan your chapters out carefully to make sure everything is clear. If your answer is already yes btw, maybe your title could be along the line of "Why are prisons breeding grounds for criminal activity?" "Assess the factors that make prisons breeding grounds for criminal activity" or "What is the biggest factor that makes prisons breeding grounds for criminal activity?". (And make sure to define what you mean by "breeding grounds for criminal activity" right at the beginning of your dissertation.)

I have no idea what you might want to include if you did your final topic so I can't really comment on it.

Good luck! I hope this was helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending