The Student Room Group

Help - not sure about uni?

I have an unconditional offer from a prestigious university(top 10), and I have firmed it so it's confirmed. However, I am not sure about the course - I do like the modules but I'm having a bit of cold feet. I am wondering whether I should call up the uni and withdraw to do a course that gives me more options afterwards even if there's a bit less prestige (top 20-30)? I'm not sure whether the uni I've firmed will let me change course - they are usually quite strict. The accommodation is expensive too and not that close to the university campus and since I live in the same city I'm not sure it's worth it? I wanted the independence and experience but idk if it's worth the cost.

So basically would I be ruining my future by going to a less prestigious uni but a course I prefer/have freedom to change or a more prestigious university that I may not be able to change courses at and the accomm ?
For reference, I'm not sure what I want to do as a career yet, all I know is id like to have a good time at uni and enjoy my course and have good career prospects afterwards
Original post by Anonymous
I have an unconditional offer from a prestigious university(top 10), and I have firmed it so it's confirmed. However, I am not sure about the course - I do like the modules but I'm having a bit of cold feet. I am wondering whether I should call up the uni and withdraw to do a course that gives me more options afterwards even if there's a bit less prestige (top 20-30)? I'm not sure whether the uni I've firmed will let me change course - they are usually quite strict. The accommodation is expensive too and not that close to the university campus and since I live in the same city I'm not sure it's worth it? I wanted the independence and experience but idk if it's worth the cost.

So basically would I be ruining my future by going to a less prestigious uni but a course I prefer/have freedom to change or a more prestigious university that I may not be able to change courses at and the accomm ?
For reference, I'm not sure what I want to do as a career yet, all I know is id like to have a good time at uni and enjoy my course and have good career prospects afterwards

Universities outside of Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE are a dime a dozen. Go to the university that you actually want to go to and do not fixate on rankings/top N.

You are much better changing courses *before* you start than trying to change courses when you are already enrolled.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Universities outside of Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE are a dime a dozen. Go to the university that you actually want to go to and do not fixate on rankings/top N.

You are much better changing courses *before* you start than trying to change courses when you are already enrolled.

I definitely agree about the course thing, but what if the university is one out of Oxbridge/lse/imperial, would that change things in Ur opinion?
Original post by Anonymous
I definitely agree about the course thing, but what if the university is one out of Oxbridge/lse/imperial, would that change things in Ur opinion?

Then it would depend on whether the sector you wish to pursue a career in cares about where you went. Particularly for front office investment banking and law.
Umm where's UCL on this list?

Spoiler

Seriously though OP, you are spending 3 years there, make it count at somewhere you want to study and will have the best time! And you really aren't ruining any career by which uni you choose, just go and ace your modules :smile:
Original post by Blue_Cow
Then it would depend on whether the sector you wish to pursue a career in cares about where you went. Particularly for front office investment banking and law.

That's true, unfortunately I have no real idea of what career I want to do, but doing a post grad in law has always interested me/ working in finance but as I'm indecisive I'm not that sure if I would follow through with it so I think I'm really struggling to pick
Original post by Noodlzzz
Umm where's UCL on this list?

Spoiler

Seriously though OP, you are spending 3 years there, make it count at somewhere you want to study and will have the best time! And you really aren't ruining any career by which uni you choose, just go and ace your modules :smile:

Thank you :smile:! I definitely think I like the actual uni I've firmed but course wise I'm doubting it, I hope you're right that I won't be ruining my prospects 😭 I just don't know what career I want so it's hard to choose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending