Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if a cluase was written in a contract and i signed it, that surely would be enforceable, couldnt it. Just wanted to make sure

thanks

ReputationRep:
    No, not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst that is the general rule, there are some exceptions; the law is never that clear cut!

ReputationRep:
    Need more information.

ReputationRep:
    UCTA anyone?

ReputationRep:
    ok.. if a contract is written up and it had a clause stating that if you do leave the business you are to pay a sum of ........ and it gets signed. However, i cannot take the job, so can they enforce the clause.

ReputationRep:
    Possible penalty clause and therefore unenforceable unless it is a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raj24)
    ok.. if a contract is written up and it had a clause stating that if you do leave the business you are to pay a sum of ........ and it gets signed. However, i cannot take the job, so can they enforce the clause.
    Is this for coursework or a problem you have personally? If the former, post the question and we can give you some clues of what to read and cases to research.

ReputationRep:
    its a question for my seminar. Basically theyve signed the contract with the clause, but i dont know if they can enforce it. As the law isnt precise and very clear.

ReputationRep:
    ild be happy to read on anythink that is suggested. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Read the section of your textbook on unfair clauses, penalty clauses, and unenforceable personal service contracts.

kthxbai

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raj24)
    ild be happy to read on anythink that is suggested. thanks
    Raj - I thought you were doing the LPC having done a law degree? If so, I'm a little surprised you don't know where to start on this sort of stuff: its pretty straightforward contract law.

ReputationRep:
    Finitooo!!

Nah i knew my stuff, just some stupid ideot confused me a lil.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.