The Student Room Group
Reply 1
No, not necessarily.
Reply 2
Whilst that is the general rule, there are some exceptions; the law is never that clear cut!
Need more information.
Reply 4
UCTA anyone?
Reply 5
ok.. if a contract is written up and it had a clause stating that if you do leave the business you are to pay a sum of ........ and it gets signed. However, i cannot take the job, so can they enforce the clause.
Reply 6
Possible penalty clause and therefore unenforceable unless it is a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
Reply 7
Raj24
ok.. if a contract is written up and it had a clause stating that if you do leave the business you are to pay a sum of ........ and it gets signed. However, i cannot take the job, so can they enforce the clause.

Is this for coursework or a problem you have personally? If the former, post the question and we can give you some clues of what to read and cases to research.
Reply 8
its a question for my seminar. Basically theyve signed the contract with the clause, but i dont know if they can enforce it. As the law isnt precise and very clear.
Reply 9
ild be happy to read on anythink that is suggested. thanks
Read the section of your textbook on unfair clauses, penalty clauses, and unenforceable personal service contracts.

kthxbai
Reply 11
Raj24
ild be happy to read on anythink that is suggested. thanks

Raj - I thought you were doing the LPC having done a law degree? If so, I'm a little surprised you don't know where to start on this sort of stuff: its pretty straightforward contract law.
Reply 12
Finitooo!!

Nah i knew my stuff, just some stupid ideot confused me a lil.

Latest

Trending

Trending