The Student Room Group

EPQ on Criminology

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could please help me make my working title more philosophical and to the point.
What are some of the factors that contribute to the chances an individual will become a serial killer?
It depends on what the content is exploring:

Are you discussing
Theories?
What factors are you discussing?
What are the aims and outcome of your EQP essay?

This can help you develop a good title.

You could have something along the lines of: Exploring factors which increases the likelihood of committing murder or
What factors contribute towards committing murder?

I would advise that you are specific about the factors in your title.

Hope this helps,

Original post by Suqerb
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could please help me make my working title more philosophical and to the point.
What are some of the factors that contribute to the chances an individual will become a serial killer?
Reply 2
Original post by Orwell84
It depends on what the content is exploring:

Are you discussing
Theories?
What factors are you discussing?
What are the aims and outcome of your EQP essay?

This can help you develop a good title.

You could have something along the lines of: Exploring factors which increases the likelihood of committing murder or
What factors contribute towards committing murder?

I would advise that you are specific about the factors in your title.

Hope this helps,

Thank you very much for the help, I have now changed to What makes a child murderer? Due to the fact i think my previous one comes up in my ocr psychology spec. & thank you for the title suggestions i suppose I could tweek it to fit this now.
In this i’d be looking to explore links to trauma, relation ship with parents, links to aggression in school/ with animals, ext.
(edited 1 year ago)
No worries! The topic of serial killers although exciting is difficult to write about; because realistically they are rare occurrences. The 60's/70's/80's was the peak of 'serial killers' (I often think that is because of the forensic technology and policing techniques back then; it was perhaps easier to get away with).

Your new idea has more scope to it. Pick 2-3 factors; not all of them, this will give you more room to develop a strong and coherent argument. You could even so an argument on Nature vs Nurture; a classical criminology debate!

Original post by Suqerb
Thank you very much for the help, I have now changed to What makes a child murderer? Due to the fact i think my previous one comes up in my ocr psychology spec. & thank you for the title suggestions i suppose I could tweek it to fit this now.
In this i’d be looking to explore links to trauma, relation ship with parents, links to aggression in school/ with animals, ext.
Reply 4
Original post by Orwell84
No worries! The topic of serial killers although exciting is difficult to write about; because realistically they are rare occurrences. The 60's/70's/80's was the peak of 'serial killers' (I often think that is because of the forensic technology and policing techniques back then; it was perhaps easier to get away with).

Your new idea has more scope to it. Pick 2-3 factors; not all of them, this will give you more room to develop a strong and coherent argument. You could even so an argument on Nature vs Nurture; a classical criminology debate!

Thank you, yes when I searched up how many serial killers are there in the UK, I found it really hard to find information, and even when focusing on America there wasnt much more information, except some of the well known serial killers. If I’m going to do my EPQ on serial killers/murderers I have to try and curve it so it isn’t related to my syllabus, but unfortunately the debate nature vs nurture would be. I spoke to my psychology teacher and she suggested doing it on the influence of media on serial killers, but I honestly don’t really know if I’d be interested on doing that. I cant even do “what makes a child a murderer?”, so I’m pretty stuck, but things like that are what interest me the most, I’m not really interested in talking about the media.

Quick Reply

Latest