The Student Room Group

Advice for quitting my job - feel so guilty!

I have been in my current job for three years and although I enjoy it (most of the time!) and the people I work with are lovely, I have recently been offered a fantastic opportunity to do something that I've always wanted to do, and will help me to pursue a career doing what I love. The only issue is, I'll be leaving my job at a really busy/difficult time. I'm in a small team and another colleague is also leaving so me leaving as well will really screw them over! I did mention the new opportunity to my manager a while back, but at that point I stated that I didn't think I'd be successful in getting it (and I also think he's forgotten all about it!) He knows about my other colleague leaving of course and keeps saying things like "at least you're staying" etc. and I honestly feel so awful! Recruitment is really slow at my workplace so it'd probably be a while before they could hire new people. How do I go about handing in my notice?
Original post by eldorado14
I have been in my current job for three years and although I enjoy it (most of the time!) and the people I work with are lovely, I have recently been offered a fantastic opportunity to do something that I've always wanted to do, and will help me to pursue a career doing what I love. The only issue is, I'll be leaving my job at a really busy/difficult time. I'm in a small team and another colleague is also leaving so me leaving as well will really screw them over! I did mention the new opportunity to my manager a while back, but at that point I stated that I didn't think I'd be successful in getting it (and I also think he's forgotten all about it!) He knows about my other colleague leaving of course and keeps saying things like "at least you're staying" etc. and I honestly feel so awful! Recruitment is really slow at my workplace so it'd probably be a while before they could hire new people. How do I go about handing in my notice?

Doesn't matter. Just hand it in like you would with any other job. This is your career and don't forget they would sack you without hesitation if the bottom line required it.
as a company they should always be prepared and are 100% responsible for recruitment, it is their issue when someone leaves. you should neverrrr put a company before your needs
Original post by eldorado14

Just write a letter saying that you are handing in your notice, you are giving X amount of notice and your last day will be X date.
With your current job- their recruitment is their problem, not yours. You have to think of your own career/future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending