The Student Room Group

Car's control body broken?

My vauxhall corsa is at the garage and needs the body control replaced. I have been told that none of there factories in the UK or abroad have it and it could take weeks or months for it to come due to the electric chip having a nationwide shortage.
Does this sound normal?

It's costing 800 to fix so my plan is to buy a crap car for no more than a grand for the unforeseeable future and sell it when my car is fixed. As second hand car prices are increasing due to demand? So I shouldn't waste as much money?

I need a car for my life
Reply 1
You might decide to keep your 'crap' car when you find its a delightful good 'runner' - cheap as chips and cheap to run (no worries about scratches, keying, dents etc.

The shortage of spares for all car repairs is only going to get worse unfortunately.
Original post by Muttly
You might decide to keep your 'crap' car when you find its a delightful good 'runner' - cheap as chips and cheap to run (no worries about scratches, keying, dents etc.

The shortage of spares for all car repairs is only going to get worse unfortunately.

Maybe so. Found a cheap Ford fiesta 2007 for £900 ran alright decent amount of mot left for the duration id need a car. Hoping to resell one or the other and make money back when my more expensive car is fixed and worth something again.
Reply 3
Why can't you just get a used part
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Iamamazing22
My vauxhall corsa is at the garage and needs the body control replaced. I have been told that none of there factories in the UK or abroad have it and it could take weeks or months for it to come due to the electric chip having a nationwide shortage.
Does this sound normal?

It's costing 800 to fix so my plan is to buy a crap car for no more than a grand for the unforeseeable future and sell it when my car is fixed. As second hand car prices are increasing due to demand? So I shouldn't waste as much money?

I need a car for my life

The automotive silicone chip shortage has been going on for about a year now, and no sign it’s stopping.

That said dealerships service teams should still be able to get parts for vehicles. First time I’ve heard of this affecting maintenance rather then nee car production.
Original post by Iamamazing22
Does this sound normal?

I need a car for my life

Prices for 2nd hand cars are going up for the same reason, chip shortages. You can't get new cars either, supply and demand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending