The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

qmul accommodation (private or Uni)

Hey guys I had just received an accommodation offer for Varey House and its non en suite which I don't like. I would prefer to have my own bathroom you know. I heard that scape is pretty good for private accommodation, just want to ask if the student experience like meeting friends would be the same in private accom?

And if any of you guys know how I can apply for scape accom?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys I had just received an accommodation offer for Varey House and its non en suite which I don't like. I would prefer to have my own bathroom you know. I heard that scape is pretty good for private accommodation, just want to ask if the student experience like meeting friends would be the same in private accom?

Heya, I got Varey House too! honestly, I would stick with it, even if you wanted ensuite. Private accom is so overpriced, especially en-suite in London. Also, in Varey we get sinks in our rooms so literally the only thing you'll have to share is a shower and a sink. Also, speaking from experience (as I went to a different university last year and made the mistake of going into private accom), the social scene in private accom is not at all the same as university accom. And I expect that this will be even more true at queen mary's than the last place I went to, which wasn't a campus uni. And, just a final thing haha, it's much easier to terminate a housing contract at uni accom or move rooms, etc. at uni accom- I moved out of private accom into uni accom halfway through last year because I hated it and it took so long to sort and it was so complicated because I was fully responsible for finding a tenant to take over my contract, which (I'm like 80% sure) isn't the same at uni.

All in all, I'd say give it a go. It's more likely to be financially and socially better for you. And then if you still hate it after a few months you can make an informed choice as to whether you want to move. Right now you're probably a bit stressed (I've been there), but from experience I would strongly advise you to go into this with an open mind and just give it a try before you decide to move, as that's something that can't be easily undone.

Hope it all goes well for you and maybe see you in September!
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!

I lived in QM halls last year and knew someone that lived in Varey house and also knew people that lived in Scape so I feel like I have a good overview of both accommodation rooms.

As you probably know, scape would be around £100 a week more expensive than Varey House which is a very very big price jump and personally I don't think it is worth that much extra as saving any amount of money at uni is great. Non en-suite accommodation rooms are not that much different to living at home and they are cleaned for you weekly by cleaners. Also, in Varey there are 2 bathrooms per flat (one having a shower and one not) which is good for sharing.

With the money saved you could spend money on different course materials, trips, social events and get a lot more out of your uni experience.

I have also heard, as someone else said in this thread already, that private student accommodation has less of a social aspect to it. I would presume that this is because people are of varying ages and at different points in their uni experience whereas in halls everyone is in their first year and around a similar age and often have never lived in student accommodation so want to make the most of that experience.

BUT it is down to you! There are perks with private student accommodation such as being able to live there through summer and it not being restricted to only first year. It is also a bit more modern and has more social areas and also the option to have a whole flat to yourself rather than just a room.

I had a great time in halls myself and I'm glad I was able to have that experience, although it wasn't always perfect all the time, it's an experience that you can share with others and relate to people with!

I hope this helps :smile:

- Liv, Student Ambassador and Official Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending