University progression

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I failed 4 of my modules in my first year. Would I have to resit them or repeat the whole year ?
KirstinTM
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Any extenuating reasons why?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by KirstinTM)
Any extenuating reasons why?
none except I got meningitis before exams but I didnt tell my uni that
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You should speak to your academic advisor about this. They will be able to give you the right answer and be able to advise you on where to receive support. Make an appointment with them as soon as you can

- Rosie
Last edited by hallamstudents; 1 month ago
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Excellent advice from hallamstudents. Speak with your academic advisor and/or your course leader as soon as possible to discuss your options. In addition to looking into whether you can resit failed assessments, they can also signpost you to any additional support that you may need going forwards.

Amy Louise
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I failed 4 of my modules in my first year. Would I have to resit them or repeat the whole year ?
The decision would typically be made by a Progress Board (i.e. a meeting of academics, typically at department or school level), that would review your marks and make a recommendation to your faculty about what should happen. The faculty would make a decision taking the recommendation into account.
none except I got meningitis before exams but I didnt tell my uni that
Why not? This is the sort of information they would use to influence their recommendation.

Four modules sounds like rather a lot to expect you to resit during the summer resit period. On that basis they might determine that the best option would be to make you retake the year rather than do resits in the summer. If you do resits, your marks are likely to be capped at 40%. If you had submitted the information about your illness, those resits might be treated as uncapped first sits. In most cases, the first year doesn't count towards the final degree classification, so it might not matter.

If you contact your department/school admin office, they might be able to give you an indication as to when you're likely to be notified of what the decision is. It would be worth finding out when the summer resit period is to make sure you'll be able to attend the exams (assuming that any reassessment takes the form of exams).
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Having meningitis is a pretty major illness and absolutely would be something considered an extenuating circumstance (and you might've needed to inform them from a public health perspective as well anyway...).

I would recommend you get in touch with your personal tutor now to discuss the situation and the meningitis matter too. I'd also recommend getting any evidence you need to confirm that you had meningitis (doctors notes, hospital discharge letters, etc, as applicable) in advance, although they may be limited in how they can retroactively apply this (other than perhaps just giving you the opportunity to retake the exams in the summer referral period as uncapped exams).
jazzzchh
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Im in second year at Aston Uni. Got Covid last year so I made exceptional circumstance appeal which was successful because I missed the 4 main modules of that semester while my recovery and self isolation. They deferred all 4 modules but now want me to repeat year as first attempt since those 4 are worth about 75 credits in total and if you lose more than 45 credits you are not allowed resits. Safe to guess this could be the decision for you as well. Did u get your official result ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads