The Student Room Group

Born-Haber Cycles: HELP

Hi guys,
I'm in Y12 but our school is giving us a test on loads of Y2 topics next week, never felt more unprepared. I absolutely don't understand something about Born-Haber cycles and was wondering if anyone could help.

On the questions where you are asked to label which equation represents which definition- how are you supposed to know? Tried to answer an exam question to label the cycle for magnesium chloride & I didn't know. I've memorised the key definitions but don't know how you can tell each thing apart?? All help is much appreciated
Would you like to post the question and we can work through it together?
(Original post by binnyblue)Hi guys,
I'm in Y12 but our school is giving us a test on loads of Y2 topics next week, never felt more unprepared. I absolutely don't understand something about Born-Haber cycles and was wondering if anyone could help.

On the questions where you are asked to label which equation represents which definition- how are you supposed to know? Tried to answer an exam question to label the cycle for magnesium chloride & I didn't know. I've memorised the key definitions but don't know how you can tell each thing apart?? All help is much appreciated

Born Haber cycles are simply the application of Hess' law to ionic compounds. Hess' law is based on the law of conservation of energy, which allows us to construct energy change cycles for any process.

Watch this video carefully - it explains the theory behind the Born Haber cycles and each individual step.

Reply 3
Original post by PhysicsG
Would you like to post the question and we can work through it together?

thank you but i think i'm okay, it's a whole type of question & concept i don't understand not just one q!
Reply 4
tysm, much appreciated

Quick Reply