The Student Room Group

Am I half Irish?

My grandad was born in Dublin and married my Nan who was from England which obviously makes my dad half Irish.
If my dad is half Irish and my mum english, does this make me 1/4 Irish?
Reply 1
Being born in Ireland doesn’t always mean you’re irish you know that right? A lot of english people live in ireland and vice versa so unless you get a DNA test you can’t know
If you measure your nationality by where your grandparents were born, then yes - you're 1/4 Irish.

The obvious flaw in this approach is that you've declared that your grandad was Irish because he was "born in Dublin", without referencing his parentage (or his actual nationality). Similarly with you nan, who was "from England".

If your grandad's and nan's nationalities are based on where they were born, then why isn't yours?

(In legal terms, there's obviously no such thing as being 1/4 Irish.)
Original post by Oliviakeegan17
My grandad was born in Dublin and married my Nan who was from England which obviously makes my dad half Irish.
If my dad is half Irish and my mum english, does this make me 1/4 Irish?

I wouldn’t say your quarter Irish but the fact that you have Irish relatives in your grandad and your father side of the family presumingly grandad as stated is Irish makes you half Irish and half English through your mother… Though depending on where you were born and for how long you spent within that place you’ll then be able to tell which you feel more of.
Doing the maths is a very American way of looking at nationality or heritage.
Technically I am 1/4 Belgian with your system.
My grandmother was dead before I was born.
I have never been to Belgium.
I can barely speak French.
How the heck can I claim to be a fraction of a nationality?
Original post by domonict
Doing the maths is a very American way of looking at nationality or heritage.
Technically I am 1/4 Belgian with your system.
My grandmother was dead before I was born.
I have never been to Belgium.
I can barely speak French.
How the heck can I claim to be a fraction of a nationality?

The only logic you can say is your half, half :rolleyes:.
Reply 6
Ethnicity is more complex than this. You could have some fun finding out though!
My grandads family were all born and raised in Dublin, he then moved to England after serving in the army
Yes, at least your family are from the real Ireland. If you had said Belfast then I’d say you’re 100% English because NI is fake Ireland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending