Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was anyone on here not breastfed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As in you got infant formula from birth as a baby? Its not a common topic if you don't have kids but with all these breast is best studies etc its as though people who were breastfed are superior healthwise compared to those who were not, its as though breast milk is magic lol. For example yesterday I found this on the BBC news website.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7715261.stm

Not only this but adults who were breastfed are said to have lower cholesterol, lower risk of cancer, lower risk of multiple sclerosis, heart disease, depression.. a longer life you name it. Im no good at accurately interpreting research but those who were not breastfed are you bothered/worried by this? Or do you put it down to speculation? Do you think you would have been better/stronger/healthier had you been breast fed? Before anyone says 'I wasn't breastfed and am fine' thats not the issue, its the idea that you would have been healthier. Thought it would be interesting as people don't seem to care how they were fed as a baby yet there is all this evidence..

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't breastfed, but I can't honestly I ever really thought about it like that!

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't breastfed... it hurt my mum too much apparently.
    And i would say that most of the things about being stronger/ healthier are true, i was quite ill as a kid... nothing serious just constantly getting ill. Also i think not being breast fed was part of the reason i was quite a fat kid... cant explain this too well.

The future health problems possibly facing me because of this though i think can be avoided and have nothing to do with being breast fed as a baby.

And im not at all bitter that my mum breastfed my sister and my sister is thin and always quite well lol, or that there seems a closer bond between ma mum and ma sister... although im quite sure this is just my immature jealousy.

ReputationRep:
    I still breastfeed.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't breastfed. Or rather, my mum tried to for the first two weeks but she simply couldn't produce enough and I lost too much weight, so had to go on the bottle

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't breastfed.
    It certainly hasn't affected my mentally.
    However I have always been quite a sick person, I get ill frequently...maybe there is some truth in the myth.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i was, and i never fall ill, to anything..

ReputationRep:
    I was bottle fed (my mum isn't so "nurturing), and I don't know really. I did have an inhaler when I was little, though I don't remember why as I don't have asthma now. Aside from that, I don't see many ways in which I could have grown up healthier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopykitten!)
    I wasn't breastfed... it hurt my mum too much apparently.
    And i would say that most of the things about being stronger/ healthier are true, i was quite ill as a kid... nothing serious just constantly getting ill. Also i think not being breast fed was part of the reason i was quite a fat kid... cant explain this too well.

The future health problems possibly facing me because of this though i think can be avoided and have nothing to do with being breast fed as a baby.

And im not at all bitter that my mum breastfed my sister and my sister is thin and always quite well lol, or that there seems a closer bond between ma mum and ma sister... although im quite sure this is just my immature jealousy.
    I really don't agree with that I think the weight difference is down to genes and you're lifestyle. If you are right well I wasn't breastfed and if I was any slimmer Id look like a skeleton lol.
    Saying that you think you would have been healthier though you must be so nice because Id be really peeved off if I could definately say I would have been healthier otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnitJanet)
    I was bottle fed (my mum isn't so "nurturing), and I don't know really. I did have an inhaler when I was little, though I don't remember why as I don't have asthma now. Aside from that, I don't see many ways in which I could have grown up healthier.
    Its things that you don't see like an healthier heart, lower cholesterol and risk for illnesses that people argue you would be healthier because of.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't because my mum became very ill during the pregnancy which causes me to become ill as well as 10 weeks premature. Because of this i was in an incubator for a few months so no milk drips of stuff, then after my mums illness caused some problem with breastfeeding and I was too weak to suckle anyway, Had to start nursery a year late as I still couldn't walk yet(incredibly weak bones/tendons in ankles and generally lower to start trying).

I had asthma for a long time but otherwise I haven't had too many problems. I get the occasional bad cold but meh I don't think I'm that bad. Thankful for no brain damage and that i am normal now..relatively.:yep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    My step-brother's 3 children have all been bottle fed from birth. As was my step-brother. I don't know why.

I'm still breastfeeding my youngest at nearly 15 months old now, and when I went to visit my step-brother to see his youngest for the first (and only) time a couple of months ago, he was only about a month old, and when I was holding the baby he kept trying to get to my breasts...I reckon he must have smelt the milk on me.
    Actually it was very weird because I really had a desire to breastfeed that child, he was so desperately trying to get at my milk! (Obviously I wouldn't have done - he's not my baby!) Even when his bottle of formula was offered to him he still kept rooting at me, so eventually I had to give him back to his mother because he just wouldn't take his formula!
    I have no idea why she doesn't breastfeed him. She's never made any attempt whatsoever to breastfeed any of her children.

My daughter I only breastfed for 3 months because I got sick with gastroenteritis. I felt so guilty when I stopped breastfeeding her actually.

My son - I had intended to stop breastfeeding at 12 months, but he's so addicted that we're still at it.

Myself I was breastfed for 3 months until my mother started back at work.

ReputationRep:
    Straight to the bottle, formula all the way, after arriving onto this planet three days late

I'm meant to be kind of inferior then, but meh.

ReputationRep:
    Only for a couple of hours apparently I was a greedy little bugger. :o:
    But I've done really well out of that formula stuff thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella)
    Straight to the bottle, formula all the way, after arriving onto this planet three days late.

I'm meant to be kind of inferior then, but meh.
    Not with your body girlfriend!

OP are you friends with Saturn? He gets very anxious about this sort of thing...

ReputationRep:
    I was only breastfed for a few days before they realised that i was allergic to it. Soya milk made things worse and for the first 6 months of my life i was in and out of hospital because i was underweight and wasn't getting enough vitamins and nutrients.

But none of this really affected me. I rarely get ill, once a year if that and its never anything bad. Whereas my sister who was breastfed is constantly ill.

The only problem i have is i'm lactose intollerant but i've lived with that on and off my whole life so its fine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I wasn't breastfed for long as my mum was in a car accident and hospitalised fairly soon after having me and my twin sister. However, despite having been premature, underweight and bottle fed as a baby I am hardly ever ill.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't. I'm very rarely ill as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicmint)
    I really don't agree with that I think the weight difference is down to genes and you're lifestyle. If you are right well I wasn't breastfed and if I was any slimmer Id look like a skeleton lol.
    Saying that you think you would have been healthier though you must be so nice because Id be really peeved off if I could definately say I would have been healthier otherwise.
    I'm not saying I WOULD have been any healthier, just a possibility as breast milk helps build up the immune system.

also had quite a healthy lifestyle actually, but yeh, wasnt amazingly fat just a little chubby really. Ah well everybody is different and I know i can't blame things on breastfeeding but i was just making a comparison between the same family anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I was breastfed for 7 months. They advise you to do it 4-6 months for the child to have less allergies.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.