Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was anyone on here not breastfed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got the bottle, and I'm fine health wise and grade wise.

ReputationRep:
    Now that I think about it, I don't want to think about it. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't, because I just wouldn't take to it.

I'm perfectly fine now though. I'm hardly ever ill - I had tonsilitis over my GCSEs, but nothing since, and I'm year 13 now! - so I'm thinking I'm fine

ReputationRep:
    I was bottle fead, and im fine, i have one of the best immune systems out of all the people i know, people i know always get ill and i dont. Though my flatmates gave me a cold, which lasted a whole 2 days, uh oh.

ReputationRep:
    To a certain extent I do agree that breastfed babies are healthier. All 3 of my siblings and I were breastfed (for up to 10 months) and we were very rarely ill as children- and rarely are now really. My sister is also disabled and considering she is supposed to be prone to chest infections (had problems with fine motor-skills and epiglottis wouldn't close properly) she didn't get very many at all.

I think it is a wonderful thing, and as a parent who wouldn't want healthier children? I do think that women shouldn't be made to feel bad for not choosing to breastfeed either. It is entirely up to them!

It does annoy me that people always seem to discount any value to breastfeeding, I mean there are SO many studies and findings, how can they all be wrong?

(Original post by Jadel_L)
    I was only breastfed for a few days before they realised that i was allergic to it.
    I didn't think it was actually possible to be allergic to breast milk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Not with your body girlfriend!

OP are you friends with Saturn? He gets very anxious about this sort of thing...
    oh don't want to worry anyone lol I think Ive seen some posts recently by saturn actually, Ive no friends I don't know anyone on here:p:

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't breastfed as I was poorly as a baby and by the time I got out of hospital I refused to take the breast. I have healthy cholesterol, low blood pressure etc.. but my immune system seems slightly weaker than my brothers' who were both breast-fed (I pick up colds more easily). I don't think that I'm significantly less healthy because of it though. If/when I have children I'd like to breastfeed if possible.

ReputationRep:
    I was only breastfed for a few days before they realised that i was allergic to it. Soya milk made things worse and for the first 6 months of my life i was in and out of hospital because i was underweight and wasn't getting enough vitamins and nutrients.

But none of this really affected me. I rarely get ill, once a year if that and its never anything bad. Whereas my sister who was breastfed is constantly ill.

The only problem i have is i'm lactose intollerant but i've lived with that on and off my whole life so its fine.
    hm thats interesting, so you never drink milk? Can't imagine not drinking milk:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)

I didn't think it was actually possible to be allergic to breast milk.
    I don't think many people are tbh which is why it took so long for the stupid doctors to realise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by repellent)
    hm thats interesting, so you never drink milk? Can't imagine not drinking milk:o:
    Nope never drink milk. Don't like the stuff anyway so i don't really miss it and you get used to it after a while. I wouldn't recommend soya milk, its horrible stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I was fed with formula. Breast feeding didnt suit my mother.

I hardly get colds, very healthy in general, don't have high cholesterol (even though there is a family history), don't have high blood pressure, know for a fact my BMI has never been over 20. My grades are also very good....so yeah I guess I'm an exception.

I will however be breastfeeding my child...more for the bond than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    I had the bitty :yep: as did my twin and we seem fine for it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I wasn't breastfed and I'm not worried because I can't go back in time and force my mother to breastfeed me lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    Most people will have an ok cholesterol and BP now, I'm sure regardless of if they sucked mama's titties. It's probably about increased risk of these things later in life (assuming most on this forum are quite young).

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many people are tbh which is why it took so long for the stupid doctors to realise.
    Were you allergic to it because of your mother's diet?

My mother could never drink milk while breastfeeding because all of my siblings, including me, were lactose intolerant. We were also allergic to a lot of other stuff. So she had to live on whatever we weren't allergic to or we'd break out in rashes.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give the Dr's a break, if it is so rare then it will take longer to diagnose.

Your Mum & Dad must have been worried sick when you were a tiny baby!

ReputationRep:
    My mother tried to breastfeed me, but apparently the only thing I would latch onto was a bottle :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    I got the bottle, and I'm fine health wise and grade wise.
    Your mental health may be subjective

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't breastfed and I'm perfectly fine.
    I haven't been ill in years and years. I rarely even get the cold.

ReputationRep:
    I was breatfed and I'm pretty damn healthy.
    My brother wasn't breastfed because he was allergic to the milk... and... he has severe dyslexia. Nah... I doubt it's related...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.