Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will cycling help my running ability? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

Erm im not exactly very fit although i woulsd say im a couch potato (gym 3 times per week) but I really want to improve my running skills and so in a few years i would be able to run the London Marathon (A Dream I know but im not aiming to achieve this for at least 3 years). I have recently started taking spin/RPM classes at the gym and am really ejoying then and i was just wondering if this will help me be a better runner (e.g. by becoming fitter).

Okay thank-yous for reading

Saladfingers :P

ReputationRep:
    it might help u a little bit.during ym training for the raf i used the cycling to warm up my legs and lungs before i went and ran a few miles.if ur going running the only way to get really gd at it is to run run run
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    cycling is good, but alot less effective, but it has fewer health risks in the long term, such as dodgy joints.

would be good as a warm up though

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm i see what your saying, i really need to start running more again now as i have stopped because ive been doing nearly all my exercise in spin classes

ReputationRep:
    as my intsructor told me nothing beats the real thing.running lots is the only way u going to get gd at it getting a gd war up is best trust me last thing u want is cramp early on.

ReputationRep:
    Does running outside to on a treadmill make much of a difference because atm i feel to embaressed to go running outside

ReputationRep:
    lol,trust me a few people think the same i was like that but the tread mill is alot easyer than running on the road or dirt.i find it better to run outside cause the breeze keeps u cool and u can see how far uve actaully ran.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ViolatedTreason)
    cycling is good, but alot less effective
    Spinning is harder than jogging trust me

ReputationRep:
    A good varied response so far thanks :O

ReputationRep:
    There are a couple of things I would say -

- Running on a treadmill is very similar to running outside, however there is one difference. Running on a treadmill doesn't work your Gluteus Medius and Maximus as hard as is does when you run outside, something due to the pressure you put down on your back foot with each type.

- Next, you could try swimming, although you seem a little self concious so I wouldn't think that is the best bet for you, although it is one of the best workouts you can do, and especially seeing as though you want to run a marathon, it will boost your cardio fitness massively.

- You said you don't want to run outside. When I go running I always go once it has dropped dark, usually about this time. Granted it can be a little colder, but if you invest in a thermal top and some running gloves you won't notice the difference!

ReputationRep:
    To get good at running you need to run and for a marathon you need to be getting some decent mileage in your legs in the months prior. Cycling however is a good fitness builder and would be a good activity to do during a week off, or as one of your rest days or if you decide to assign a day to cross training. Swimming would be just as beneficial fitness wise; but as I said initially: to get good at running you need to run!

You need to get outside. We all dislike the British weather however it's actually satisfying to run outside in the dark and wet. Quite refreshing. Stick with shorts, get a good shell for when it's peeing it down, a hat, some Under Armour or a Helly and go for it.

ReputationRep:
    If you want the most efficient, quickest way to increase your running ability, theres only one answer:

Running will help your running ability.

Start slow if its too intense.

ReputationRep:
    Of course feel free to walk for a while to catch your breath if you cant run constantly for too long, tho this depends on your fitness. If your short of time increase the speed and try for about 3 runs a week if you can, although if your younger you could do more, depends how quickly you want to increase fitness really. Also, unless your aiming to lose weight, eat well beforehand in order to maximise your performance.

ReputationRep:
    cycling doesnt really help with running, and your neceseraly (sp) brilliant at one if you are at the other, i would class myself as a pretty good runner (15.24 for 5k) but i feel i am pathetic at cycling!! haha, i do still do it as it has aerobic benefits and especially with being injured at the moment. but im going to do a lot more swimming as that has an all over body workout and large aerobic benefits!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PE Crazy)
    cycling doesnt really help with running, and your neceseraly (sp) brilliant at one if you are at the other, i would class myself as a pretty good runner (15.24 for 5k) but i feel i am pathetic at cycling!! haha, i do still do it as it has aerobic benefits and especially with being injured at the moment. but im going to do a lot more swimming as that has an all over body workout and large aerobic benefits!!
    Whilst good running doesn't necessarily translate well to cycling, the converse is not necessarily false. Cycling can be of great benefit to running, as not only does it increase cardiovascular fitness as a whole, a good proportion of the muscle recruitment is the same.

Bearing in mind the OP is intending to increase the amount of distance they wish to cover, I would strongly recommend the use of cycling in addition to running, as the fact it is non-impact will spare your joints as you increase your stamina.

Runner's World has an interesting article about this a while back, upshot being Cycling = Good (as part of a well constructed routine).

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to improve your running, apart from running, is probably doing HIIT, or tabata exercises to improve your anaerobic capacity and vo2max.

ReputationRep:
    A good training programme for cycling will increase your aerobic capability - spinning and high RPM work on pedals is good for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    The best thing to improve your running, apart from running, is probably doing HIIT, or tabata exercises to improve your anaerobic capacity and vo2max.
    I fail to see how anaerobic capacity links to a solid performance in endurance events. Can you cite your sources? I would be interested in reading about this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    I fail to see how anaerobic capacity links to a solid performance in endurance events. Can you cite your sources? I would be interested in reading about this...
    It was a typo, clearly I meant anaerobic capacity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    It was a typo, clearly I meant anaerobic capacity.
    Uhm... anaerobic capacity?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.