Turn on thread page Beta

Will cycling help my running ability? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsy King)
    Uhm... anaerobic capacity?
    AAAARG.

I can't type that ****. It's just not possible.

Here, let me cut and paste it.

Aerobic Capacity.

ReputationRep:
    Anaerobic system is mostly used for sprinting at the end of a race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redemption)
    AAAARG.

I can't type that ****. It's just not possible.

Here, let me cut and paste it.

Aerobic Capacity.
    Haha! That's better. Didn't realise it was a typo first time. Second time REALLY confused me :p:

ReputationRep:
    Your body is constantly using both aerobic and anaerobic energy, it's a continuum rather than one or the other.

I'm a fairly handy runner having done low 33s for 10k whilst an 18 year old (have had injury problems since).

I've just started work on the exercise bike and it's brought me back in fantastic shape form injury. Have maintained so much fitness I really can't quite believe it.

A few key things to take into account when trying to use cycling to improve your running....

1. Keep up a high cadence, say 85 RPM plus, this will get your legs used to the quicker turnover of running.

2. Do intervals if you can, ideally say of 5 minutes duration of hard cycling repeated 6 times with 2-3 minutes easy cycling. This will help your aerobic fitness much more so than long steady cycling- at least in the short run.

3. The more you do the better the effect will be.

One of the main benefits of cycling is that you will be losing weight whilst doing it. That weight loss will be of substantial benefit to you in the long run if you currently have excess fat.

I personally find it extremely helpful to be able to rely on the cycling for some of my aerobic base-work. It means I'm not fretting that I'm only currently running 40 or so miles a week as opposed to the 60+ I would prefer to be doing.

p.s. PE Crazy- am I right in guessing your 5k was the Bobby Moore one? Quick bit of research on athletics data!

ReputationRep:
    Do not do interval training, especially not in winter. It will most likely not increase your aerobic capacity (for the majority of the population). A long steady ride at 80% MHR or under works best for reaching your physical prime. Your endurance will be awful if you do interval work too.
    While a high cadence makes for the most efficient cycling you want 90-100 not 85. 85 is good for long climbs not flats - ignoring the fact that different muscle groups will be worked, so it's not really that great for running.

Use cycling for aerobic training, not for muscle power. Simply go out and do 2 hours at less than 80% MHR.

ReputationRep:
    I used to cycle professionally at the veledrone in Manchester when i was about 8 obviously that was a long time ago but maybe i can still help you.

If you want to become good at running then cycling wont help you it might actually hinder you, you see you develop different muscle for cycling then you do for running so although it might improve your general fitness and endurance levels it wont make you run faster at all cycling is still generally good exercise though so why not if anything Swimming is the best you use all your muscles while swimming i used to do cycling and swimming and i used to be well fit so there probably the best options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Dreams)
    Your body is constantly using both aerobic and anaerobic energy, it's a continuum rather than one or the other.

I'm a fairly handy runner having done low 33s for 10k whilst an 18 year old (have had injury problems since).

I've just started work on the exercise bike and it's brought me back in fantastic shape form injury. Have maintained so much fitness I really can't quite believe it.

A few key things to take into account when trying to use cycling to improve your running....

1. Keep up a high cadence, say 85 RPM plus, this will get your legs used to the quicker turnover of running.

2. Do intervals if you can, ideally say of 5 minutes duration of hard cycling repeated 6 times with 2-3 minutes easy cycling. This will help your aerobic fitness much more so than long steady cycling- at least in the short run.

3. The more you do the better the effect will be.

One of the main benefits of cycling is that you will be losing weight whilst doing it. That weight loss will be of substantial benefit to you in the long run if you currently have excess fat.

I personally find it extremely helpful to be able to rely on the cycling for some of my aerobic base-work. It means I'm not fretting that I'm only currently running 40 or so miles a week as opposed to the 60+ I would prefer to be doing.

p.s. PE Crazy- am I right in guessing your 5k was the Bobby Moore one? Quick bit of research on athletics data!

haha, athletics data = the source of all knowledge/stalk people to see how they are racing. it is indeed, that was off 4/5 weeks of easy running and light fartlek due to hamstring injury. felt so good that day, shame it was timetrial mode and i wasnt running through the line, could easily have gone sub 15.20 had i ran through the line. so low 33 for 10k when 18? when were you 18 and what time exactly? then i can AD you and find out who you are, without revealing names to every1 :P

but yer back on subject, something that came to me before, it won't improve your running ability that much, what will improve your running ability is running, as it is specific to the event, cycling will have some benefits yes but mainly aerobic fitness.

ReputationRep:
    I run with nature. Should give it to ya! PM me if not!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.