Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Picking my A levels need help, are they good choices?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverwolfalpha)
    i got 1 a*(maths) 5as(2 science, 1 stats, 1 histroy) 3bs
    i flopped in my first year with 2 sciences.

No, don't do sciences if u can't get A*, its stupid.
    Choose something easy rather than sciences, english is good(got B with a week of revision for A level), Maths is really hard. If you can, avoid sciences with all cost unles uni choice require it, otheriwse you will be in lot of pain and regret.
    Screw your parents, thats how i fell into my flops, cos of them wanting me to take those.

Take things you wil get A* in, or easy options, like photography or media if you can. My GF's sis got 2A1B for AS and shes doing art, photography and media.(piss me off so much, shes a complete dumbass)
    Unis don't look at your subject, they look at grade, remmeber that.
    iam sure universety's SLIGHTLY rate chemistry and physics more than photography and media.

ReputationRep:
    Not -quite- true there. If you've really no idea what to do after college, try and keep your options open, a science, humanitie, perhaps a language, that way, if you decide what you want to do, you've at least got a bit of everything (I'm doing double maths, french and law hopefully). Also, the way I think about it, and the reason that I'm not taking Chemistry or Physics, even though I do well in them, I don't want to take a subject where I'll go "*grumble*, Urgh... I have Physics yet". It's your choice, ultimately, what you do with your life, just pick somethings that you enjoy, but you think will benefit you also.

Vicki x

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your replies.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend Law and History. ut it seems you aint into that.

ReputationRep:
    IMO do maths + three sciences - statistically that is where the money is

ReputationRep:
    If you're planning on doing English I'd take Literature. I find Language so much harder and if you end up wanting to study English at Uni you'll need Lit anyway. I really regret taking Language.

ReputationRep:
    hey're good academic choices and if you enjoy them all then ok but dont just choose them because they 'look good' because if you fluff them it isnt going to look good.

ReputationRep:
    If YOU are happy with your choices and are confident you will enjoy them, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    i got 1 a*(maths) 5as(2 science, 1 stats, 1 histroy) 3bs
    i flopped in my first year with 2 sciences.

No, don't do sciences if u can't get A*, its stupid.
    Choose something easy rather than sciences, english is good(got B with a week of revision for A level), Maths is really hard. If you can, avoid sciences with all cost unles uni choice require it, otheriwse you will be in lot of pain and regret.
    Screw your parents, thats how i fell into my flops, cos of them wanting me to take those.

Take things you wil get A* in, or easy options, like photography or media if you can. My GF's sis got 2A1B for AS and shes doing art, photography and media.(piss me off so much, shes a complete dumbass)
    Bad advice. sorry.

I got AA at GCSE science and I'm doing fine at Chemistry and Maths.

If you can't do something you get an A at GCSE in, at A level, then what's the point of GCSEs? The requirement at my college is a B.

Furthermore, great, your girlfriend's sister is getting AAB. And what is she going to do at university? Art... Media Studies...? That's all she can do. Unis DO care about what subject you have. For example if you take anything with 'studies' on the end means that oxbridge will say no. There's no point in taking subjects just cos you reckon it;s an easy A. Do the ones you enjoy, and work hard. And tkae ones related to a possible career; if you might need science take it. Worse comes to worse, you get CCBA in maths, chem, physics, and english (just for example) you could still do english at uni; they;d very much respect sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    tbh that's stupid advice. What happens if someone wanted to do english history art and photography because they enjoyed it only to think **** i can't apply to medicine anymore....
    It's likely that if you wanted to do medicine, you'd enjoy some science and therefore pick science courses. But if you find that you don't like science and find it boring, then you wouldn't probably pick it for your A levels and it wouldn't be a good idea to carry it on at university.

ReputationRep:
    dont do biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzypants)
    Bad advice. sorry.

I got AA at GCSE science and I'm doing fine at Chemistry and Maths.

If you can't do something you get an A at GCSE in, at A level, then what's the point of GCSEs? The requirement at my college is a B.

Furthermore, great, your girlfriend's sister is getting AAB. And what is she going to do at university? Art... Media Studies...? That's all she can do. Unis DO care about what subject you have. For example if you take anything with 'studies' on the end means that oxbridge will say no. There's no point in taking subjects just cos you reckon it;s an easy A. Do the ones you enjoy, and work hard. And tkae ones related to a possible career; if you might need science take it. Worse comes to worse, you get CCBA in maths, chem, physics, and english (just for example) you could still do english at uni; they;d very much respect sciences.
    cheers man yeh, sciences are reli respected 4 all courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    dont do biology
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goats)
    why?
    its too much things to learn, stick with ur current choices, their good.

ReputationRep:
    Pick what YOU want at the time.

I ended up not doing A Levels (very long story) but I was accepted into one of the best schools in my County to study them I was going to do -
    French
    German
    Music
    and
    Resistant Materials

At the time I had no motivation for anything but Music, Languages and making things.

Now I'm doing an Access course in Maths and Physics and enjoy it so much Things sometimes change, I'm hopefully applying to do Financial Mathematics at university, no one would have ever guessed!

Follow what YOU want, career etc. is not what you should really be thinking about at this stage, it's your life, if you change your mind later pursue that Just enjoy life. I don't think about career now just enjoying myself and getting to where I want to be at this specific time.

I've been there and done that, not all that much older (well a good 4 years) than you but I've "lived" a lot for my age, it's great to study but also great to go out and live a bit before you seriously study, helps you put things into context.

Do what you heart tells you to do so,
    Porscha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.