The Student Room Group

A level choice (History or ancient History)

I am wondering whether to change A level History to Ancient History, because in the taster lesson I had there was a lot about British politics which does not interest me. I was wondering if I could get opinions from both the a levels from anyone who is doing them and if Ancient History contains much about politics.
What do you mean there was lots of politics?
Original post by Charlie445464
I am wondering whether to change A level History to Ancient History, because in the taster lesson I had there was a lot about British politics which does not interest me. I was wondering if I could get opinions from both the a levels from anyone who is doing them and if Ancient History contains much about politics.
Original post by anton31
What do you mean there was lots of politics?

When I had the taster lesson, it showed that 25% of the course was on Britain. In this section, it showed a lot about politics (for example the conservatives and then labour)
Reply 3
My daughter did History A level, main topics were on American history (including some politics about Presidential affairs & civil rights) and War of the Roses.
It is compulsory for at least 25% of your history A-level to be British history, that won't change if you do ancient. History is intrinsically linked to politics - you couldn't learn about modern Chinese history for example without discussing Mao's policies and the way that shaped China's development. Is it just modern politics you don't like or politics in general?

I have just finished my British study (From Pitt to Peel, 1783-1846) and whilst there is definitely a decent amount of politics in there, that is it not the only thing you will be learning about. Economics, social changes, war, and many other things are also large aspects. I also have to ask, what do you mean by not liking politics? Politics is quite a broad topic - politics in history is not the same as politics in other scenarios, much less about whether you personally agree with the policies and much more about the effects they have and the wider picture. The only difference I can see in politics in modern vs ancient history is that you would be slightly more disconnected from the events in ancient history and therefore wouldn't have as many pre-determined views.

You also have to consider the other optional modules your school does - do you like them more than you like the British unit? Do you like the ancient history modules more? Don't jump into changing your entire A-level choices on one trial lesson - ask if you can go to a taster lesson for ancient history, or even for another subject altogether to compare them

Quick Reply

Latest