Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxi321)
    i do a science as it is and that involves careful lab work and i'm not bad at it, surely practicing medicine can't be any harder. Are you thinking of applying for it after your degree
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    As everyone else has said dyspraxia is unlikely to stop you getting into medicine, but it will greatly affect you during the course of you studies, particularly when it comes to practical exams, essential to pass so you can qualify. If you get through these the dyspraxia will make it extremely difficult for you to practice competently, depending of course on the severity of the condition

ReputationRep:
    i do a science as it is and that involves careful lab work and i'm not bad at it, surely practicing medicine can't be any harder. Are you thinking of applying for it after your degree
    This is a ridiculous statement- i suggest you go away and do a hell of a lot of research!

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing this was aimed at me, yes I am considering applying for it after my degree but we shall see I need to get some work experience and think long and hard about it first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    :rofl:
    I mean in terms of fine motor skills. If i have enough dexterity to measure action potentials of small insects then besides the occasional clumsyness in terms of gross motor skills, i shouldn't be that bad.

ReputationRep:
    I mean in terms of fine motor skills. If i have enough dexterity to measure action potentials of small insects then besides the occasional clumsyness in terms of gross motor skills, i shouldn't be that bad.
    That's very different to performing procedures on a person.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by gross motor skill?

ReputationRep:
    but does it not take the same sort of level of skill and if i can reach that during lab classes with practice i should theoretically be able to reach it performing procedures.

ReputationRep:
    but does it not take the same sort of level of skill
    I don't think so, what makes you think it does.

ReputationRep:
    as in bumping into thinks, stamping of peoples feet, not following a beat when dancing etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I don't think so, what makes you think it does.
    because they both require careful movements and its not like hands shake of anything, it just takes alittle longer to carry out some actions.

ReputationRep:
    Great... :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    as in bumping into thinks, stamping of peoples feet, not following a beat when dancing etc
    If those are the only things you struggle with then you should be ok, as long as you don't bump into anything important and can follow a beat of CPR.

ReputationRep:
    because they both require careful movements and its not like hands shake of anything, it just takes alittle longer to carry out some actions.
    Is that what you presume we do?

ReputationRep:
    enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    enlighten me?
    How can I do that, you won't know until you do it.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose providing the Dyspraxia di don't hinder me, i might aswell give it a shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    In theory no.

However, I'd hesitate about letting is dyspraxic play around with the small, sharp, pointy things (which is something entirely unavoidable in medicine).

The tutors cannot look upon you negatively, but lots of other people will.
    Dyspraxia affects people in various ways. I cannot stand certain textures (would rather freeze to death then waer a woolen sweater) and I need tinted glasses due to light over sensitivity. That hardly makes me unsafe to practise. :shifty:

Fair enough I may take longer to learn some practical skills. My exam technique never looks particulary slick and I am guaranteed to end up at the wrong side of the bed at some point. However my fine motor skills are ok and I most deffinitly do not have problems with taking blood or cannulating.

Maxi, the question is what you will gain from being assesed and diagnosed as dyspraxic. If you will get help in learning appropriate coping strategies then it is worth considering. Otherwise I woul think twice about labeling yourself so that you can be judget by ignorant people who do not fully understand your condition an will straight away assume the worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    Dyspraxia affects people in various ways. I cannot stand certain textures (would rather freeze to death then waer a woolen sweater) and I need tinted glasses due to light over sensitivity. That hardly makes me unsafe to practise. :shifty:
    Did I say you would be?

I said that dyspraxia makes it more likely that someone would be unable to practice basic medical skills. Distinct?

ReputationRep:
    It may be my limited grasp of English language getting into the way of communication but my understanding of 'However, I'd hesitate about letting is dyspraxic play around with the small, sharp, pointy things' is that you implied that people with dyspraxia are unsafe to perform proceures involving sharp objects.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.