The Student Room Group

Obesophobia

I think I might have obesophobia, or the fear of gaining weight. I have just one question, would this fear mean I'm fat shaming people who are obese or overweight?
No.
Your focus is upon yourself and irrational fears relating to your own personal appearance not other people's.
Original post by rocknrollin
I think I might have obesophobia, or the fear of gaining weight. I have just one question, would this fear mean I'm fat shaming people who are obese or overweight?

I would certainly recommend you speak to your GP about this matter and see whether or not you have this condition ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰. Only person who can diagnose it is unfortunately your GP.

I'm not a GP but I'm a NHS registered midwife and this is what I would recommend you do is go and discuss it with your GP okay. This way you'll be hopefully given a diagnose of whatever you have from those who are qualified to do so.
Focus on yourself first and foremost and don't worry about what others are saying about you.

Management and Treatment of obesophobia........

People with obesophobia should talk to a healthcare provider to ensure they manage their anxiety and prevent other disorders. Possible treatments include: Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is structured psychotherapy that can help a person understand and control thoughts and emotions

People with obesophobia should talk to a healthcare provider to ensure they manage their anxiety and prevent other disorders. Possible treatments include: Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is structured psychotherapy that can help a person understand and control thoughts and emotions
This it the kind of crap I see on tiktok. Not wanting to be fat isnโ€™t fatphobic, itโ€™s called wanting to be healthy ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
It depends on how you view obese or overweight people. I have a huge fear of gaining weight as well. I'm very critical about my physique. I also think I would look quite unattractive if I were obese.

However, that thought has never extended to others. I've never looked at an obese person and thought they were ugly or unsightly. Quite the opposite, actually. I think Lizzo is absolutely gorgeous despite the way haters describe her. She's beautiful. I've never thought poorly of people because of their weight. So, you can have a fear of being overweight without being a body-shamer or fat-shamer.

Quick Reply

Latest