The Student Room Group

organic chemistry question

hi guys I'm unsure as to what they mean by the reducing agent in this equation, especially with everything in the skeletal form
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mohona1827
hi guys I'm unsure as to what they mean by the reducing agent in this equation, especially with everything in the skeletal form

It’s basically asking what reagent/reagents would you use for reaction 2.

They would want you to answer with ‘tin and (concentrated) hydrochloric acid’ in this case.

On another note, I’d presume this is taken from an old spec past paper, so part (b)(iii) is probably something you wouldn’t be asked in a new spec exam (the synthesis of dyes was removed from the spec for everyone except OCR B).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TypicalNerd

They would want you to answer with ‘tin and (concentrated) hydrochloric acid’ in this case.

On another note, I’d presume this is taken from an old spec past paper, so part (b)(iii) is probably something you wouldn’t be asked in a new spec exam (the synthesis of dyes was removed from the spec for everyone except OCR B).

Thanks for the reply!
Yes this is from PMT and a lot of the questions are legacy questions, so I don't think this would pop up in my exam but good to know
Original post by mohona1827
Thanks for the reply!
Yes this is from PMT and a lot of the questions are legacy questions, so I don't think this would pop up in my exam but good to know

This is definitely a current spec AL question:smile:

FYI

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/chemistry-7404-7405/subject-content/organic-chemistry/amines-a-level-only
Fair enough, though I still see no reference to the synthesis of dyes.

It doesn’t ask about the synthesis of dyes it asks to know the synthesis of an aromatic amine and then the use of one which are both on the spec
Original post by _Rusty_
It doesn’t ask about the synthesis of dyes it asks to know the synthesis of an aromatic amine and then the use of one which are both on the spec

Ah right. I see the ‘cationic surfactants part’. I’d imagine an answer would need to be a bit more specific and state that it’s a precursor molecule.
Ah right. I see the ‘cationic surfactants part’. I’d imagine an answer would need to be a bit more specific and state that it’s a precursor molecule.

Not at all that’s a very similar question to the one I had in my final exam!

I had been mentioning the synthesis of dyes as I was aware of the benzenediazonium synthesis and had a actually checked what 4-methylaniline is used for and the pubchem page states ‘Intermediate used in the organic synthesis of dyes, reagents, and other chemicals; [ACGIH] and elsewhere mentions that it is used largely in the synthesis of dyes.
The reduction can also be carried out by using Sodium Borohydride in presence of a Palladium on Carbon catalyst.

Quick Reply

Latest