The Student Room Group

Scared about GCSE results

I just did my GCSEs and now I am on summer break. I am known both at school and at home to be an extremely hard working student, and I usually achieve 7s 8s and 9s in all subjects.
I know that I have done well in all my sciences because those are my stronger subjects. However, I am really worried for English. I do English AQA and I found the language papers quite hard, especially paper 1.
Both of my sixth forms that I have applied to require a 6 in English. For me, English is either hit or miss. I have previously in mocks gotten a 7 in paper 2, a 9 in paper 1 and then a 6 in paper 2 again.
It’s not that I stopped working hard, but I found the test and extract hard.
I am worried because I really need a grade 6 and I am in top set but I still feel as though English was weak. It has always been my weak subject since day 1. I really did revise as much as I could for English but I’m just really worried for that subject. I am doing biology chemistry and psychology next year for ALEVELS so a high English grade is required.
I found literature much better but that doesn’t matter.

any ideas ?? it’s really stressing me out and although my parents told me not to worry, English is so important and there’s no point in getting high grades in other subjects if English is a low grade
Original post by harlz_chalamet
I just did my GCSEs and now I am on summer break. I am known both at school and at home to be an extremely hard working student, and I usually achieve 7s 8s and 9s in all subjects.
I know that I have done well in all my sciences because those are my stronger subjects. However, I am really worried for English. I do English AQA and I found the language papers quite hard, especially paper 1.
Both of my sixth forms that I have applied to require a 6 in English. For me, English is either hit or miss. I have previously in mocks gotten a 7 in paper 2, a 9 in paper 1 and then a 6 in paper 2 again.
I am worried because I really need a grade 6 and I am in top set but I still feel as though English was weak. It has always been my weak subject since day 1. I really did revise as much as I could for English but I’m just really worried for that subject. I am doing biology chemistry and psychology next year for ALEVELS so a high English grade is required.

any ideas ?? it’s really stressing me out and although my parents told me not to worry, English is so important and there’s no point in getting high grades in other subjects if English is a low grade

I'm with your parents on this - don't worry. At this stage you can't change anything so relax and enjoy the summer holidays.

Sixth forms don't tend to be too strict with grades (unless you want to study that subject at A level), especially if you get good grades with the majority of your subjects. Also, if you do find that your result is not what you hoped, then you could retake English alongside your A levels. Once you have an idea of what you might study at uni, check the GCSE entry requirements to see if a resit would be necessary. But at this stage, park it and wait until results day.

Are you doing Humanities A levels? I've never heard of a state school requiring a grade 6 in English for STEM A levels; not even selective schools.

Hi there.

I agree with @normaw :smile:. You've worked so hard so it's important that you make the most of your summer by doing relaxing and enjoyable things. So long as you've tried your best you can't regret anything. As said above, there may be some leniency depending on your science/maths grades (i.e. if they are grade 8/9s) if your English is at a grade 5 for example.

It may just be that you've done better than you think. Wait until results day and take it from there.

Best wishes. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Are you doing Humanities A levels? I've never heard of a state school requiring a grade 6 in English for STEM A levels; not even selective schools.

Hi, no I’m not doing any humanities ALEVELS.
I’m taking biology chemistry and psychology.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest