The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

How likely am I to get into Edinburgh with these?

Hey, I'll be applying for uni in Oct. I just curious about whether I stand a pretty good chance at getting into the University of Edinburgh to study Computer Science with all I have. So, anyway, here's what I have.

APs - Computer Science A (5) / Statistics (4) / Human Geography (4) / Psychology (3)
(I plan to take Calculus BC, both Physics Cs, Chemistry, European History, and English Language and Composition next year)
School Marks - 99/100 as a final average for my junior year
IGCSEs - Business Studies (TBD) / Mathematics (A*) / French Foreign Language (A*) / Biology (A*) / Computer Science (A*)
SAT - 1530 (790 Math 740 Eng)

To add to those stuff, I've also recently done an internship and should hopefully receive a certificate for it in a week or so. I also plan to volunteer in August when I'm less busy. I'm somewhat active in school and often hold positions regarding academic activities. I've been coding for fun and practice on and off and know a little bit of Java, Python, HTML, and CSS. I don't plan to take any A Levels and I'll be sitting for IELTS later this summer. And finally, not sure if this matters, but I speak 4 languages: (L1) English, Mandarin, Wu, and (L2) French (level B2).

Think that's all I have. Hoping to hear from someone soon!
(If I've missed anything important for applications, please let me know!)
Original post by SomeBreadMan
Hey, I'll be applying for uni in Oct. I just curious about whether I stand a pretty good chance at getting into the University of Edinburgh to study Computer Science with all I have. So, anyway, here's what I have.

APs - Computer Science A (5) / Statistics (4) / Human Geography (4) / Psychology (3)
(I plan to take Calculus BC, both Physics Cs, Chemistry, European History, and English Language and Composition next year)
School Marks - 99/100 as a final average for my junior year
IGCSEs - Business Studies (TBD) / Mathematics (A*) / French Foreign Language (A*) / Biology (A*) / Computer Science (A*)
SAT - 1530 (790 Math 740 Eng)

To add to those stuff, I've also recently done an internship and should hopefully receive a certificate for it in a week or so. I also plan to volunteer in August when I'm less busy. I'm somewhat active in school and often hold positions regarding academic activities. I've been coding for fun and practice on and off and know a little bit of Java, Python, HTML, and CSS. I don't plan to take any A Levels and I'll be sitting for IELTS later this summer. And finally, not sure if this matters, but I speak 4 languages: (L1) English, Mandarin, Wu, and (L2) French (level B2).

Think that's all I have. Hoping to hear from someone soon!
(If I've missed anything important for applications, please let me know!)

From this, I am going to assume you're potentially American as it says you've sat the SAT and you do AP subjects.
It may be hard to find entry requirements for these subjects because there are many computer science courses offered at Edinburgh such as BSc in CompSci, BEng in CompSci, etc.
However, this website from the University of Edinburgh will show what entry requirements you need alongside what score you should get in your IELTS test:
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/country/americas/united-states-of-america
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by JA03
From this, I am going to assume you're potentially American as it says you've sat the SAT and you do AP subjects.
It may be hard to find entry requirements for these subjects because there are many computer science courses offered at Edinburgh such as BSc in CompSci, BEng in CompSci, etc.
However, this website from the University of Edinburgh will show what entry requirements you need alongside what score you should get in your IELTS test:
https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/country/americas/united-states-of-america

I'm not American but my school offers mostly American tests, and thus I'm applying using mostly them. And yup, I've checked these as well as subject specific requirements. Qualifications wise, I currently have quite a lot more than what is required (apart from the fact that I haven't taken an English proficiency test yet). But, I'm finding it tough to estimate my chances since the minimum requirements (1290 SAT / 544 AP) are really low for a prestigious school.
Original post by SomeBreadMan
I'm not American but my school offers mostly American tests, and thus I'm applying using mostly them. And yup, I've checked these as well as subject specific requirements. Qualifications wise, I currently have quite a lot more than what is required (apart from the fact that I haven't taken an English proficiency test yet). But, I'm finding it tough to estimate my chances since the minimum requirements (1290 SAT / 544 AP) are really low for a prestigious school.

It may seem low but it is because in the UK, we don't have these standardised tests that you do when you're around 17 because when you're 17 in the UK, you don't have to take an English subject as we finish it at 16 (GCSE).

However, your chances may be slightly higher because you have International qualifications (iGCSEs) and you completed American standardised tests to a decently high standard according to Edinburgh.
You might want to look at the things you did outside of school because if many people meet the entry requirements, they look at your personal statement/admissions essay - if you haven't done anything outside of school that have helped you gain skills or work experience then you'll be knocked out because of that than your grades.

Do some things outside of school before you apply.
Original post by JA03
It may seem low but it is because in the UK, we don't have these standardised tests that you do when you're around 17 because when you're 17 in the UK, you don't have to take an English subject as we finish it at 16 (GCSE).

However, your chances may be slightly higher because you have International qualifications (iGCSEs) and you completed American standardised tests to a decently high standard according to Edinburgh.
You might want to look at the things you did outside of school because if many people meet the entry requirements, they look at your personal statement/admissions essay - if you haven't done anything outside of school that have helped you gain skills or work experience then you'll be knocked out because of that than your grades.

Do some things outside of school before you apply.

Thank you for the advice! I'll try working on that!

Quick Reply